Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your threads and Bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-threads-bobbins-t49521.html)

dungeonquilter 06-13-2010 04:39 PM

I really like the bobbin savers (round rubber donuts). I have three in different colours. One for each of my two machines, and one for pre-wound bobbins that fit both machines. I rarely wind bobbins anymore, prefer the pre-wound ones from Superior Threads. My regular bobbins mostly have decorative thread on them these days.
My thread is stored out of the sunlight in a drawer for the larger spools, and in a nifty plastic container with two layers from Pep Boys. Just the right height for most spools.

brushandthimble 06-13-2010 04:44 PM

bobbins in the donut things for when I need a color/matching thread
neutrals for pieceing for in a tube

threads are in one of those three drawer units out of direct sun and protected from dust.

littlehud 06-13-2010 04:56 PM

I have four thread racks I got at Joanns and a little bitty bobbin rack that looks like a mini thread rack. They are all hanging behind my computer. It's next to my sewing table in the dining room.

memathomas 06-13-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo
I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

TIA :-)

i just got this bobbin holder for 12.00 it holds the bobbins with out the thread hanging all over and it comes apart if you need it too. the thread on a thread rack
memathomas

Katia 06-13-2010 05:42 PM

I have several of those big plastic three drawer things and they are full. Red in one drawer, etc. Then I also have a thread rack for what I am currently using, and what I have not put back yet. Then I have all my embroidery thread, (machine stuff) in special clear containers. Well, that is the small sizes, the bigger ones are in another drawer thing. Then all my serger thread is in a big dresser drawer.

And guess what, I really need to buy actual cotton quilting thread. I have been trying to use what I have and not buy more, but I have mostly blends so I guess I should buy more. Is that crazy or what?

pab58 06-13-2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have a big thread rack and I store both the spools and bobbins on it.
For the bobbins I also use the small elastic pony tail holders to keep them from unwinding . WalMart of dollar store :thumbup:

Never thought of using pony tail holders!! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Lady Tapioca 06-13-2010 06:04 PM

My bobbins are in the storage space of my machine. I only wind what I think I'll need for a project in either black, white or beige.
Thread is in ziplock bags in a basket. Regular thread in one bag, specialty threads in another.

KarenBarnes 06-13-2010 06:11 PM

I buy the cone thread since I have a serger and I store it all in 3 drawers (the plastic kind on wheels) and my bobbins I store in a doughnut shaped plastic container. I think I need to get one more though just for my quilting threads!

AtHomeSewing 06-13-2010 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a holder which has room to hold the spool of thread and it's matching bobbin. It's made from a piece of acrylic, which I drilled holes into, then added acrylic rods. Here's a pic of it. I made it to fit inside a drawer.

taiboo 06-13-2010 06:57 PM

VERY COOL

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I made a holder which has room to hold the spool of thread and it's matching bobbin. It's made from a piece of acrylic, which I drilled holes into, then added acrylic rods. Here's a pic of it. I made it to fit inside a drawer.