Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your threads and Bobbins

I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

TIA :-)

Blog Entries
    I have a big thread rack and I store both the spools and bobbins on it.
    For the bobbins I also use the small elastic pony tail holders to keep them from unwinding . WalMart of dollar store :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    on a thread rack

My bobbins are in a container that holds 25. It is a little tough to get a grasp on them when I want one, and the thread does not behave. Thinking about getting another system.

Blog Entries
    Threads are in the 3 drawer containers and 2 plastic containers and bobbins are in bobbin container that hold 25.

Thread rack from Joann's. I have 6 mounted on my wall and another next to my machine.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately scattered around everywhere :oops: I really need to get it all organized LOL

Thread boxes and I use the 'hole reinforcements' stickers on the bobbins to keep them from unraveling.

I keep my thread out of the sunlight and dust. I have them in the Thread size Art-bins.
    My bobbins are in the top drawer of my sewing desk in those bobbin rings that look like skinny doughnuts.

bobbins for my kenmore are in a bobbin box in a small 3 drawer plastic organizer. Bobbins for the treadles are in their cabinets.

I really like the bobbin savers (round rubber donuts). I have three in different colours. One for each of my two machines, and one for pre-wound bobbins that fit both machines. I rarely wind bobbins anymore, prefer the pre-wound ones from Superior Threads. My regular bobbins mostly have decorative thread on them these days.
    My thread is stored out of the sunlight in a drawer for the larger spools, and in a nifty plastic container with two layers from Pep Boys. Just the right height for most spools.

bobbins in the donut things for when I need a color/matching thread
    neutrals for pieceing for in a tube

threads are in one of those three drawer units out of direct sun and protected from dust.

I have four thread racks I got at Joanns and a little bitty bobbin rack that looks like a mini thread rack. They are all hanging behind my computer. It's next to my sewing table in the dining room.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboo
    I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

TIA :-)
    i just got this bobbin holder for 12.00 it holds the bobbins with out the thread hanging all over and it comes apart if you need it too. the thread on a thread rack
    memathomas

I have several of those big plastic three drawer things and they are full. Red in one drawer, etc. Then I also have a thread rack for what I am currently using, and what I have not put back yet. Then I have all my embroidery thread, (machine stuff) in special clear containers. Well, that is the small sizes, the bigger ones are in another drawer thing. Then all my serger thread is in a big dresser drawer.

And guess what, I really need to buy actual cotton quilting thread. I have been trying to use what I have and not buy more, but I have mostly blends so I guess I should buy more. Is that crazy or what?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I have a big thread rack and I store both the spools and bobbins on it.
    For the bobbins I also use the small elastic pony tail holders to keep them from unwinding . WalMart of dollar store :thumbup:
    Never thought of using pony tail holders!! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

My bobbins are in the storage space of my machine. I only wind what I think I'll need for a project in either black, white or beige.
    Thread is in ziplock bags in a basket. Regular thread in one bag, specialty threads in another.

I buy the cone thread since I have a serger and I store it all in 3 drawers (the plastic kind on wheels) and my bobbins I store in a doughnut shaped plastic container. I think I need to get one more though just for my quilting threads!

I made a holder which has room to hold the spool of thread and it's matching bobbin. It's made from a piece of acrylic, which I drilled holes into, then added acrylic rods. Here's a pic of it. I made it to fit inside a drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VERY COOL

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    I made a holder which has room to hold the spool of thread and it's matching bobbin. It's made from a piece of acrylic, which I drilled holes into, then added acrylic rods. Here's a pic of it. I made it to fit inside a drawer.

hubby made me a wall cabinet for my thread..

when there is still thread left on the bobbin after a project, I put the bobbin on top of the thread for the next use.....
    already for the next usage............

Works just fine.....mj

holds about 75 spools
    Name:  Attachment-85407.jpe
Views: 94
Size:  104.9 KB

Blog Entries
    I have a thread rack but most of my thread is stored in plastic see-through boxes. I have it sorted into cotton, poly and embroidery thread. Then there are the bobbin holders with different colours for the different threads. I also put a dab of nail polish on the bobbins so I can tell if it is cotton or poly thread.
    My machine needles are sorted on a tomato pin cushion, it is divided up so I know where the different needles are.

that wallcabinet is just great. I love the frame!

this is how I store mine
    Name:  Attachment-85524.jpe
Views: 93
Size:  49.1 KB

I bought the little zipper bags(like your ziploc bags) at your local hobby lobby that you put jewelry in for my bobbins. I hold onto the thread and seal shut. I bought a thread shelf at an estate sale.

Banned
    My threads are stored in a Bernina thread box that I won years ago.
    I have alot of thread so also have an Ace Hardware box that another student at QBL showed me - also holds wider spools than the Bernina.
    Threads that are likely to be in current use are on a thread rack that hangs on the wall behind my machine.
    Cones are on a cone-tree.

My bobbins are stored in drugstore daily pill boxes and in the rubber circle bobbin holders that I bought w/coupons at Joanns.
    One color for cotton, another for Bottom Line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast