Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your threads and Bobbins >

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

Sadly most are chucked in a drawer and large plastic bag BUT do have some in containers!!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by taiboo
I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

TIA :-)
Until I get my sewing room made I have been storing my threads in rectangular plastic boxes. I store my bobbins in empty qtip boxes, it works for now
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I use the soft plastic bobbin boxes (JoAnn's $3-4) - have one for my Singer, one for my Bernina and one for embroidery threads. Most of my threads I store in a plastic stacking bin; the embroidery threads are bottom up in plastic bins as well (don't like the dust that accumulates if they are left out or on a rack. I use the nick on the older spools to keep thread from unraveling. Was really excited when I saw how they revamped the new spools The bobbins I make sure are wound back up when I place them in the box - most times they will stay that way.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I use the round doughnut like rubber bobbin holders.

I have one for each thread type and thread weight. I marked each bobbin holder with the thread type and size on the side of the center hole with a sharpie pen.

That way, I know what kind and what size of thread is on a bobbin. With my eyes and with having some threads in the same color only different sizes, I never could be sure what was on a bobbin. LOL...
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM

I use thread racks. I put the bobbin on first & then the matching thread on top of the bobbin. That way I don't have to search for the matching bobbin thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Now that's a smart idea.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 AM

I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

My regular thread is in a drawer in a cabinet on my left ( I'm left handed) under my machine counter. I organize them in the tops of shoe boxes. Bobbins are stored in bobbin cases in the same drawer. I use the blue plastic tape that sticks to itself to control tangling. It's great, can be cut and used over and over again.
Since I also embroider, I have a 14" square, seven drawer, plastic stacked cabinet from WM that holds all my decorative thread and can be rolled around the room. I have a huge thread rack (thanks to the old Fabric World closing) hanging above my serger with all my serger thread.
I store most of my working projects, scraps for snippets, PP, and machine tools in three drawer rolling plastic cabinets that fit under the tables where my machines are set up.
I use an old typewriter (remember those?) table when I'm working. I put my fabric selections on the top and a box underneath to catch scraps. Also use another T table with a padded ironing top to roll to my right side for quick pressing. This is much easier than a rolling chair and it sure works for me. Have to baby these 82 year old legs these days. Yes I do get up every hour, have a big, cold glass of water and ssstttrreettccchhhh.
The best part is they can all be easily moved to any work area or stored out of the way when not needed.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM

I store my extra new rolls in the freezer in a zip/freezer bag. the tread dont seem to break so easy. Works grat
Old 07-06-2010, 04:06 PM

I have written about my method for storing bobbins here (http://www.26-letters.com/2010/07/di...amboo-skewers/) and thread here (http://www.26-letters.com/2010/07/di...printers-tray/).

I find it works very well.

Store bobbins on bamboo skewers keeps loose strings at bay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81524[/ATTACH]

Thread displayed in an antique printer drawer is easy to see
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81525[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81519.jpe   attachment-81520.jpe  
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I keep my thread out of the sunlight and dust. I have them in the Thread size Art-bins.
My bobbins are in the top drawer of my sewing desk in those bobbin rings that look like skinny doughnuts.
Same here.