Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your threads and Bobbins >

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by brendadawg
To keep the thread from getting unwound (on spools that don't have the place to wind the end), I use a product called (I think) thread socks. It's a long piece of stretchy mesh and you can cut off a piece about 1" or so, and it stretches out to go over the spool and keep the thread in place. One package will do several spools. I don't remember where I got it, but if I see it again, I'll buy several packs. It's wonderful.
For thread storage only, light-weight vinyl works well, too. I bought a few yards @ Joann's and use a pinking blade rotary cutter to cut strips about 2" wide off the vinyl sheet; then when I'm ready to store a cone or spool of thread that does not have it's own thread-lock device, I wrap just enough of the vinyl strip around the thread cone/spool to overlap ... the vinyl then sticks to itself. I store my thread knowing it can't unwind. A few yards of the thin vinyl is inexpensive, if I remember correctly.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
I have only been sewing for several months and I am starting to accumulate LOTS of threads/bobbins.

How does everyone store them, also how to you keep them from coming unrolled and thread everywhere?

TIA :-)
I got little plastic zip bags about 2" x 3" or so, and I keep the thread and the bobbin together in the bag. I store the bags in a plastic container. I have also purchased color cards for my most frequently used threads - Aurifil, So Fine, and Masterpiece, so that I knnow at a glance if I even have the color I need. I just accumulated so many threads that a thread rack was no longer a viable option, and this system seems to work for me.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM

I just reorganized my thread, and I blogged about it here:
http://quiltiliciousjourney.blogspot...le-things.html

My "garment thread" is now in a box. My Husky bobbins are split between a small box in a drawer of my sewing table and the storage bin for my sewing machine (that holds all the feet and accessories). My Singer bobbins are in a couple of plastic bobbin cases my mother got 30+years ago.

My large spools of variegated thread are in the bobbin drawer.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I use pill boxes for my bobbins,the ones that has the days of the week, a bobbin fits great in them, and it very good to take with you if you need bobbins in a sewing class.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

I have a container from Joanns that opens like a book and has man places to store your thread. You open it up and wala you see all your spools. I have another item from Joanns that is rubber and it has about 3 or 4 stacks & on each stack are slots for each bobbin, and they do not roll.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

I have a container from Joanns that opens like a book and has man places to store your thread. You open it up and wala you see all your spools. I have another item from Joanns that is rubber and it has about 3 or 4 stacks & on each stack are slots for each bobbin, and they do not roll.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM

I bought one of those snap/lock container sets from Lowes. The ones you can snap more containers on. Then I take a hole reenforcement and stick it on one side of the bobbin and slide the end of the thread under it. Then I take a golf tee and put it through the hole in the bobbin and in the hole in the spool of thread. I got this idea from the Fons and Porter tip CD. I can then set the spool (Coats Clark -- large size) in the snap/lock container . Also I store my bobbins (with reenforecement holding the ends of the thread) in a 7-day pill container (one with straight sides works better than the one with the curved front. I can store five of my 221 bobbins in each days compartment (total of 35 bobbins). The lids snap closed and keep the bobbins in a orderly fashion. I use my AM/PM one-day pill container with the push down tabs for storing my smaller safety pins
Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I made a holder which has room to hold the spool of thread and it's matching bobbin. It's made from a piece of acrylic, which I drilled holes into, then added acrylic rods. Here's a pic of it. I made it to fit inside a drawer.
Great idea Connie. Where would I get those supplies? Hint: you could make those and sell them to thousands of quilters, sewers, crafters.... :-D
Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM

I use a thread rack and i tacked a scrap piece of clot at the top with thumb tacks to let loosely hang over the whole thing. This keeps the thread dust free.

I put the end of the thread back into the knotch that the end is stuck in when you buy a new roll.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I store mine in about 3 plastic covered thread holders I bought at Joann's. I also store some in a quilting basket.