Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your threads and Bobbins >

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 AM

I use Matchbox car containers from WalMart for about $4. It holds my Essential thread in one and my Mettler #60 in another, and I keep the matching bobbin in them too. I keep my cones of thread in a plastic drawer in the 3 drawer cabinet.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 AM

I just saw this method on the blog last week and I've bought the pegboard and dowels and will be making it.

http://craftedition.blogspot.com/201...tutorial.html.

Enjoy!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 AM

I forgot to mention in the pegboard method that the big box stores sell 1/4 sheets of pegboard to make life easier.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM

I keep thread in plastic storage boxes. I bought them at Walmart in the toy department. They are frosted clear plastic and are meant to hold toy cars like Hot Wheels. The size is perfect for threads, even embroidery threads. They stack together nicely and are only about $6 each. A lot cheaper than similar boxes sold for thread specifically.

For bobbins, I use the Bobbin Saver. I use a different color for the different machines so the bobbins don't get mixed up.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 AM

I have a lot of different categories of threads, each type stored separately; they are all in drawers away from light and dust. I have them separated in such a way that I know exactly where to find what I need, without having to hire a detective. The largest supply of thread I have is machine embroidery thread; both polyester & rayon. I keep an up-to-date typed list of all my machine embroidery threads, by brand & color number. When I'm pulling colors for a design, I know if I have that color number and exactly where to find it by checking my list. Bobbins are in drawers, also, in those round rubber do-hickeys, so I can see the colors at a glance.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM

I have some little plastic disks (for lack of a better word) that the bobbins can snap into, and then they fit on top of the spool that they come from. The size isn't right for all spools, but it works for most. It would only work if you store your spools on some kind of pegs to keep them from rolling around. This method works great for me. My thread is stored on those June Taylor peg contraptions. Mine are hanging on the wall.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 AM

I keep my bobbins in several bobbin savers, and my threads are in clear plastic divided boxes specially made for storing thread. I like them because they keep the dust off the thread. The wall racks keep the threads easier to spot, but I like to keep the dust off.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

To keep the thread from getting unwound (on spools that don't have the place to wind the end), I use a product called (I think) thread socks. It's a long piece of stretchy mesh and you can cut off a piece about 1" or so, and it stretches out to go over the spool and keep the thread in place. One package will do several spools. I don't remember where I got it, but if I see it again, I'll buy several packs. It's wonderful.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Roberta
I just saw this method on the blog last week and I've bought the pegboard and dowels and will be making it.

http://craftedition.blogspot.com/201...tutorial.html.
The link above wouldn't work for me but I found it on the blog:

http://craftedition.blogspot.com/search?q=thread+rack
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM

I have thread holders for my spools and use plastic see thru fishing lure boxes from WM for my bobbins. They each hold 35 bobbins and are much less $ than LQS's. In fact I have several different containers that came from the fishing dept at WM. I'd rather use my $ on fabric :lol: