Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your threads and Bobbins >

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

How do you store your threads and Bobbins

Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM

I have a big thread rack and I store the spools. For the bobbins I also use the small elastic pony tail holders to keep them from unwinding and they are in a plastic storage container( actually a fishing tackle holder)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 PM

I keep spools of thread on 3 racks, two that are wood and one that is a decorative metal one. They are sorted by color. Bobbins I keep in a small plastic box on my sewing desk. I think the box holds about 25.

Cecilia
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM

I have the wooden thread racks You can now buy the clear plastic covers that fit right over them. I hung mine on my pegboard behind my machine. I have the plastic things that slip onto the spool and hold the matching bobbin and the bobbin ends. Two racks are for regular sewing threads, and one rack is embroidery threads. For my empty bobbins I have small divided cases. One for the Bernina sewing bobbins, Bernina embroidery, one for the Brother sewing,and one for Brother embroidery, each with the machine they go to.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 PM

I use a thread rack and I like those rubber doughnuts that you can put the bobbins in and it holds and won't fall out. I keep my cone threads in a big plastic barrel I can see in. When I work on a quilt project I keep the thread and the bobbins together in a baggie so I know which thread soes with it. If I have a cretain thread, I keep the bobbin it loaded attach to it with a twistie. That way I know that thread is on that bobbin. SO many things to keep up with.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM

embroidery thread in two drawers of a 5 drawer chest, madiera thread chest, wood tool chest (small) from Harbor Freight with rayons, small three drawer with variegated 30 wt, variegated cone from Hancocks in gallon bag, and plain serger in a plastic shoe box and misc big plastic thread boxes with regular thread, quilting thread, and rayon, bobbins sorted with regular thread and embroidery thread leftovers. Wow, it surprises me I could remember them all!

Tried thread racks and it just got to be too many. Besides they were also accumulating dust. Anyways works for me!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Bobbins are stored in the machine tray. I usually don't thread any more than that can hold.

My other thread is in a bin (or rather by type in a bin),
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Spools are in a spool bin by color, filled, and ready to go. However, I need to buy another one as this one is full.

Thread for sewing is in a drawer and thread for quilting is in a plastic see-thru bin.

If I had the wall space, I think I would go with the pegboard method and include spaces next to the spools for the bobbins. That way they are all in one area.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM

I have mine in more than one place...A really cute thread rack cabinet over my 'old' machine (the one in the cabinet), a container with pockets on the side that's next to the machine I use most that's at the end of the dining room table, a variety of zipper bags with already cut squares for a whole project with the thread to match all on a bookring.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM

I have thread racks for small spools, and plastic boxes for cones, and I use those blue doughnuts for my bobbins.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 PM

I went through this thread thing about a month ago because I had thread everywhere and could not keep up with what I had. So I ended up using 3 large spool racks mounted to the wall for all my normal sewing and the bobbins are in the drawer of my sewing cabinet. Then I found a nice plastic cart with 6 drawers, used for scrap booking that holds 12" pages, perfectly sized for threads and not a lot of extra height that is wasted, at the time it was on sale for $35 so I got that and I use it for all my embroidery thread and bobbins for that machine. The only other thing I did was to make a chart of all my threads, since I have over 200 embroidery threads and my computer is not in the same room it was hard to remember all the colors. So I sorted them into colors and as I placed them into the drawers I used card stock and wrapped each color thread around and labeled the color number so when I'm designing my embroideries I could have a color chart with me. Now you may ask why I don't rely on the charts that come with the program? Well at first I did and found that the colors don't match no matter what company charts I used. I ended up picking a company's color chart that came with the program and printing it out, then matched my threads to it. It was a lot of work but now I am free to design and not worry about the colors being wrong in my designs.