Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your WIPs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-wips-t63299.html)

rubia 09-05-2010 09:03 PM

I have projects all at various stages and feel like it's all pretty haphazard. Once finished top is folded and shoved into a gallon size zip bag. I have two stackable wire mesh baskets with two different projects in it but all the various pieces are mixed together in each project. I have fabrics separated for specific quilts in tied grocery bags and then stuffed into my scrap boxes.

I hate the chaos!

For example, I have a pinwheel top in progress. Most of the blocks have been assembled, but some are still HSTs that haven't been cut yet. Or have been cut but not assembled into blocks. I spend half an hour sorting it all out before I can even get started.

I need some organizational help! What works for you? I'm terrified of starting a quilt with lots of pieces for fear of mixing everything up!

M.E.H. 09-05-2010 09:07 PM

We MUST be related. I do the same thing.

sarge1 09-05-2010 09:10 PM

I had a baby a couple of years ago, and many of the things I received for him came in those clear vinyl bags. You know the kind you get sheets and comforters in, with the zippers? A lot of times they even have a little pocket in them, where they put a picture of the sheet or comforter on a bed so you can see what it looks like. I keep projects together in them-fabric, completed blocks, etc. and in the little pocket I keep the pattern, thread, etc. Hope I explained that clearly. They aren't as bulky as boxes, clear so you can easily see the project, and they keep things clean. I don't think they should be used for long term storage, though.

PMY in QCA-IL 09-05-2010 09:16 PM

I get larger size rubbermaid or some such storage boxes and store my WIPs in them, keeping cut pieces sorted in them in quart-size zip-loc bags. We travel in an RV and it makes it easy to take a project or two with to work on.

Sadiemae 09-05-2010 09:32 PM

I use plastric containers like rubbermaid for my UFO's(WIP's). My quilt tops waiting to be quilted are on a clothes rack on hangers.

trif 09-05-2010 10:23 PM

I have a few of the clear plastic boxes approx 4" deep with handles and keep my current projects in them, I sew with a friend once a week so it makes for easy travel, just close the box, grab the handle and hi ho hi ho it's off to quilt I go!

scowlkat 09-05-2010 10:53 PM

I buy one or two gallon zip loc bags and store my WIPs in them. I leave the last inch open so there is air circulating - having read somewhere that it is not good to store fabric in plastic bags for too long. Some of my WIPs have been around a while - in fact, I just recently made myself complete my very first applique project started in 2003! Yippeee!

luvTooQuilt 09-05-2010 10:56 PM

I use see-thru colored ArtBins that i bought at Jo-anns. they hold up to 12 inch blocks nicely and they have a carrying handle. I got different colors so I can tell what WIP is in there as well. I got them for about $8-$9 on sale or with a 50% off coupon.. I love them.. Keeps me organized..

Also I saw a post on here about how someone uses the clear containers they get with food- clear fruit containers, See thru to-go containers, etc.. A good way to recycle and get free storage containers..

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-05-2010 11:56 PM

Use 2 gallon baggies, I can see for the reminder that it's still waiting ;) and fold the content for stacking, they are sometimes tough to find, have bought most at big purple 99 cent store 5-6 sometimes 10 pack.
Happy Quilting :)

Kathy N 09-06-2010 02:30 AM

I use the clear plastic shoe boxes. They stack nicely and I can see what is in them. Kroger's had them 10 for $10.00 your dollar stores have them too. They hold alot so you can put a big quilt in them in pieces. For my 12" blocks from swaps that I haven't gotten to yet I went to Joann's in the scrapbook section and found some clear plastic boxes for $4.99 before the 40% off that were made to hold your 12 x 12 paper, they work perfect. Again they are clear so it is quick and easy to see what is inside.