Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your WIPs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-wips-t63299.html)

littlehud 09-06-2010 01:06 PM

Mine are stored in plastic zip lock bags. One tote for things that need quilted and another for quilts in progress. It works for me.

janb 09-06-2010 01:13 PM

I guess I'm 'way behind all you other quilters...my WIP has to be finished before I can start another...because of space. But while I am working on the current piece, I am planning the next one in my head..when I have a moment, I will go thru my stash and see what I have to work with. Really I do envy you gals with lots of space, however next weekend I will be on the way to my own little sewing corner.

May in Jersey 09-06-2010 01:46 PM

Last week I had to clear up my sewing/guest room for visit from DS#3 and family. I put all my big WIP into those bags from the supermarket and Joann's that are meant to replace using plastic bags for your orders. Remains of projects are kept in big plastic baggies until I have a chance to go through them and return large pieces of fabrics to my stash and smaller ones to my scrap boxes. May in Jersey

gmaybee 09-06-2010 01:50 PM

I went to the business store and bought the clear plastic expandable large evelope that have the string that closes them. Everything for that project, fabric, thread, pattern etc. go in one and then they go into a plastic tote. That way when I'm looking for something to do I can go to the tote and look through it and see what's in each envelope with out opening it and pick. Then I don't have to look for the thread etc. It's already in there.

lots2do 09-06-2010 02:25 PM

gmaybee-
What size are those envelopes? I think that's a great idea. Will have to go and shop, soon.
thanks!

quilt addict 09-06-2010 03:49 PM

Mostly I use the boxes you can get for scrapbooking. They have a handle and the top swings up. They hold a 12" block flat. Then I put my fabics and pattern in it. They also coincedentally fit perfectly in a cabinet i have in my sewing room. I look for them on sale or use a coupon.

np3 09-06-2010 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I use see-thru colored ArtBins that i bought at Jo-anns. they hold up to 12 inch blocks nicely and they have a carrying handle. I got different colors so I can tell what WIP is in there as well. I got them for about $8-$9 on sale or with a 50% off coupon.. I love them.. Keeps me organized..

Also I saw a post on here about how someone uses the clear containers they get with food- clear fruit containers, See thru to-go containers, etc.. A good way to recycle and get free storage containers..

I use these too, but I get them from Michaels. You can find them on sale quite often for $4.99. They start out at $8 there.

kapatt 09-06-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by trif
I have a few of the clear plastic boxes approx 4" deep with handles and keep my current projects in them, I sew with a friend once a week so it makes for easy travel, just close the box, grab the handle and hi ho hi ho it's off to quilt I go!

I use the same type of rectangle plastic boxes. I bought the size of tub where I can lay out a 12x12 block in it. They are about 4" deep.
I keep my pattern/directions, all of the material I bought for that project and the receipts for the material in case I have to go back and look for the same material. I have about 4 or 5 of these boxes and it is very easy to grap the project I'm working on and take it to which ever room I need to use it.

bjnicholson 09-06-2010 04:13 PM

OK. Here's the thing. I don't have any WIPs (or finished ones for that matter!). I have some scraps from things that I have sewn, but nothing quilty. I've ordered small quilt kits for my DGDs from Hancock. THEN I will have A WIP! Maybe then I can start to catch up with all of you :cry:

mamaw 09-06-2010 04:44 PM

I love ArtBin totes and they are acid free.