Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your WIPs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-wips-t63299.html)

Melinda in Tulsa 09-06-2010 05:25 PM

I have 5 cardboard boxes, similar to Pizza Boxes, that I keep my WIP's in. I limit myself to only 5 boxes so I don't ever have too many WIP's!

annette1952 09-06-2010 05:51 PM

Mine are all in plastic totes. I have them marked on the outside so I know what is in them.

May in Jersey 09-07-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
OK. Here's the thing. I don't have any WIPs (or finished ones for that matter!). I have some scraps from things that I have sewn, but nothing quilty. I've ordered small quilt kits for my DGDs from Hancock. THEN I will have A WIP! Maybe then I can start to catch up with all of you :cry:

Yeah, Join in the WIP fun, May in Jersey

Cam22 09-07-2010 06:52 AM

I use the cardboard photo boxes. lable in the front slots. looks pretty on shelf. also have a friend that owns a pizza shop so access to any size they have and usually any pizza place will give them free or very cheap.

Twisted Quilter 09-07-2010 08:05 AM

I hate the idea of having more than one project going at a time, so my chaos is limited. I do have 3 tops that need backing and binding. I just fold them and put them in a bag in a corner of my room until I figure out how to back & bind. :shock:

gmaybee 09-07-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
gmaybee-
What size are those envelopes? I think that's a great idea. Will have to go and shop, soon.
thanks!

I have mostly 11 1/2x 10. I think they come in bigger sizes also. I wouldn't be able to put all the things for large quilt in one this size, but I usually finish a quilt completly, so it's smaller projects that are in these.

Aully 09-07-2010 11:21 AM

I use plastic totes 68L with labels on them, I go them at Walmart for $5 each. Try the clear bags that you can vacume seal and then you can put many in 1 tote, jut make sure you label your totes or you my have to go through all of them again. lol! If you have blocks you can by scrapbooking containers to store them in, Walmart sells those as well for $8.99 for the clear 12.5 by 12.5 container.

Caroltee 09-07-2010 11:42 AM

All these ideas are great……. I want to share my 2 cents….. I have a file system I keep my WIP all separated and label in Zip lock bags……… 2 keep the bulk down I remove all the air in the bags and then label each one then place them like files in container…… . 2 remove the air I place the items in the bag then lay bag on flat surface…. Place a soda straw in the end of the top corner of the bag and close bag to the straw…. Hold your fingers on the straw where straw and bag cross…. Suck all the air out of the bag and quickly pinch down on the straw and at the same time pull the straw out as you pinch the zipper close. Walla vacuum packed bags …. File by bag sizes. S M L or separate with file folders. Use one container for all or place them by size of bags. What ever works for U

janb 09-07-2010 04:18 PM

Just had something delivered in a wonderful small box...this will be saved for when I DO have some little quilt pieces...thanks for all the ideas.

Theresa 09-07-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
All these ideas are great……. I want to share my 2 cents….. I have a file system I keep my WIP all separated and label in Zip lock bags……… 2 keep the bulk down I remove all the air in the bags and then label each one then place them like files in container…… . 2 remove the air I place the items in the bag then lay bag on flat surface…. Place a soda straw in the end of the top corner of the bag and close bag to the straw…. Hold your fingers on the straw where straw and bag cross…. Suck all the air out of the bag and quickly pinch down on the straw and at the same time pull the straw out as you pinch the zipper close. Walla vacuum packed bags …. File by bag sizes. S M L or separate with file folders. Use one container for all or place them by size of bags. What ever works for U

Love the straw idea! Gives new meaning to vacuum bags!