Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How far would you travel for fabric ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-far-would-you-travel-fabric-t207218.html)

thepolyparrot 11-30-2012 10:18 PM

Upstairs. That's about it. My stash is upstairs and my computer is upstairs.

Lord, please stop me from buying fabric!!! I'm out of control!!!

Pattia 11-30-2012 10:46 PM

I have not gone that far to actually buy only fabric, but I have fabric that I purchased in Japan, England, Germany, and several other places in Canada. I only started quilting recently, but have had a love of fabric for a loooong time.
When my son travels on tournaments, I look up the local quilt stores. There is a nice one in Cambridge Ontario too.
Patti

DOTTYMO 11-30-2012 11:27 PM

I always look before travelling for quilt shops on the way and surrounding where I go. I did travel from Alton Towers to Glasgow, it was for a wedding initially. I went to a caravan site in Birmingham and travelled from there to Southhampton for a twiddling class and fabric. How far do you travel for a class? All places in UK .

QuiltE 12-01-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pattia (Post 5690890)
I have not gone that far to actually buy only fabric, but I have fabric that I purchased in Japan, England, Germany, and several other places in Canada. I only started quilting recently, but have had a love of fabric for a loooong time.
When my son travels on tournaments, I look up the local quilt stores. There is a nice one in Cambridge Ontario too.
Patti

Oh please do tell me about the LQS in Cambridge. The only fabric I know of is at Len's, hardly an LQS.
*nudge* *nudge* ... get yourself to Quilts and Calicos and check it out!

Ozarkcastle 12-01-2012 08:40 AM

well if it were Exeter, MO (USA) I would say go for it, there is a great shop there! (Probably further then you want to go but great prices- lol)

mjhaess 12-01-2012 10:42 AM

I go to Buffao NY twice a year and load up while I am there....Amish country is a great place to buy quality at a cheeper price than most stores I have shopped.

baglady65 12-01-2012 04:18 PM

Well I travel about 160 miles a several times a year to get fabric that is about $2 a yard cheaper then here!

katesnanna 12-01-2012 07:49 PM

Rebeljane and I have done it a couple of times (over 100klm) but we make a day of it.

Scotlass 12-01-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5690911)
I always look before travelling for quilt shops on the way and surrounding where I go. I did travel from Alton Towers to Glasgow, it was for a wedding initially. I went to a caravan site in Birmingham and travelled from there to Southhampton for a twiddling class and fabric. How far do you travel for a class? All places in UK .

Please advise "what is twiddling"? thanks from a yank!

qltgrose 12-01-2012 09:51 PM

When I lived in FL, I drove to MaryJos Fabric store in Gastonia NC at least twice to shop. I have also gone on day long shop hops where we drove to 5-6 stores across the state. Just depends. MaryJos...yes, it was worth the trip and the gas. I would love to go again sometime. Now its a bit further, since i live in Indiana :)

As far as classes go...the best and farthest I traveled for a class was to go from FL to California to attend Asilomar. I had 4 1/2 days in a class room with the teacher of my choice, Gai Perry..it was MARVELOUS and I do hope I am so lucky to get to go again! I did have free air fare though, as I had bumped myself off a business flight and so had free ticket. All I had to pay for was the seminar itself. It rather spoiled me for taking 1/2 day or day long classes!