Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How good would 30 yr old fabric be? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-good-would-30-yr-old-fabric-t256497.html)

bea2 11-08-2014 01:23 PM

How good would 30 yr old fabric be?

Would it be wise to buy approx. 30 yr old cotton fabric? I'm watching some 3-4 yds of fabric from an estate sale on Ebay. It looks good from the pictures but does fabric dry rot in that time?

Eva Knight 11-08-2014 01:38 PM

If you can't touch it or fell it, I would not buy it. You never really know about it until you get it.

just_the_scraps_m'am 11-08-2014 02:14 PM

not sure about how wise it would be, LOL, but I've bought/acquired loads of it! LOL I think it would depend on how it was stored, and I would check the ebay seller's policies on returns in the event it wouldn't be up to your standards.

ckcowl 11-08-2014 04:19 PM

There are many fabrics around a lot older than 30 years old , it is still possible to come across fabrics from the 30's& 40's ( that's like 80+ years it does depend on lots of things, I would be leery about fabrics I couldn't touch, look at. Remember too, fabrics now are not the same as fabrics then, they may be thinner, looser weaves, narrower widths... Check the return policies, ask questions, maybe take a chance, If you love the fabric and feel the price is right

Cogito 11-08-2014 05:24 PM

I had such a laugh when I read the subject line....I realize you are asking in all seriousness with a need to know, but.....2/3 of my fabric is 30 years old and I am the one who bought it! So I did a bit of a double take when I read your question. I was thinking..."Goodness I hope so!" :shock:
All kidding aside...my fabric has been stored in a temperature controlled environment, not exposed to light (shelves in closets) and was the best available at the time. So MY fabric is definitely usable and some quite collectible. That being said, I do agree with others that there is some risk buying sight unseen. However, I have bought yards and yards of old fabrics off EBay and for the most part have had no issues. Just be willing to accept what you receive for what you pay. And there is the key! Don't pay much and it will all be good! :)

ManiacQuilter2 11-09-2014 08:13 AM

I agree with the two previous posts. At least 1/4 of my stash are calico from the 80s. I would ask the seller if there are any conditions such as smell or fading. Most sellers are very honest since almost anything sold on eBay can be returned if your are not pleased with the purchase.

Annaquilts 11-09-2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6961261)
There are many fabrics around a lot older than 30 years old , it is still possible to come across fabrics from the 30's& 40's ( that's like 80+ years it does depend on lots of things, I would be leery about fabrics I couldn't touch, look at. Remember too, fabrics now are not the same as fabrics then, they may be thinner, looser weaves, narrower widths... Check the return policies, ask questions, maybe take a chance, If you love the fabric and feel the price is right

Yes this!
Most of my fabric is older 70s-80s and up. It came from all kinds of back grounds and was mostly donated to me. The only problem I have had is musty smell and pet hair. Give it all a good wash and iron it. Overall I feel it is a little thinner and narrow but sometimes it is thicker if it is brand name. If it is what you like and the price is good, I'd say try it.

luvstoquilt 11-09-2014 09:33 AM

I love old fabric! I have gotten it from all sorts of places...attics, ebay, etc. I have feed sacks I have purchased for $1 up to $7 or $8...love them all and hate to cut them but my love of '30's quilts overrides my apprehension.

Jingle 11-10-2014 04:54 AM

Some of my fabrics are close to that age. I use it if it looks and feels good.

piepatch 11-10-2014 05:34 AM

I know a lady who quilted, who stock piled fabric for many, many years. People knew she quilted and would give her their scraps and left over yardage, and some of it was very old. She made quilts to sell, and there were complaints because some of the fabrics rotted. I personally wouldn't buy 30 year old fabric not knowing the history of how it was cared for and stored, but on the other hand, we see really old quilts that are still in good shape, so who knows.