Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to hang small wall quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-hang-small-wall-quilts-t70491.html)

gale 10-16-2010 12:12 PM

That's how I did my bigger wall quilt. I used those clip-on type curtain rings and a curtain rod. DH put nails in the wall and the rod just rests on them-you can barely see the nails (and only if you really look for them).

oksewglad 10-16-2010 12:48 PM

You can buy clip on curtain rings and hang them on a quilt shelf rod or attach a curtain rod to the wall for quilts.
I hand sewed a couple of rectangular magnets to the back of one to hang on my refrigerator or any other metal surface--metal door, etc.

BellaBoo 10-16-2010 12:53 PM

I use the poster putty for small quilts. It stick to the quilt and the wall with no damage to the either. Easy to remove with no residue. I hang small quilts on my inside doors, inside my cabinet doors, anyplace unexpected to find something pretty. The quilts hang flat against the surface. The new magnetic quilt holders are great.

SuziC 10-16-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I found a great way to hang wall hangings. I sew a triangle...a square folded into a triangle into each corner so that it forms a pocket..and use a piece of wood the width of the quilt..(think paint stick size). Then use a sawtooth hanger and regular picture hanging items. Works Great!! When I make the wall hanging I sew the triangles on before I put on the binding.

Thanks for that great tip!

ktbb 10-16-2010 01:06 PM

for small ones, I use safety pins...put one pin into each top corner (on the back) with the joint/circle end up, making sure that the circles are of equal height and that when they bear the weight of the hanging they don't show above the quilt. Put nails or straight pins in the wall and hook the safety pin circles over them. If you use straight pins in the wall you can cut off the heads so they are only as long as you need them and they leave very small holes.

Kathy N 10-16-2010 01:09 PM

Pop can tabs work great!

akrogirl 10-16-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use the poster putty for small quilts. It stick to the quilt and the wall with no damage to the either. Easy to remove with no residue. I hang small quilts on my inside doors, inside my cabinet doors, anyplace unexpected to find something pretty. The quilts hang flat against the surface. The new magnetic quilt holders are great.

Thanks - I like the poster putty idea for my wall hangings :-)

rzx2 10-16-2010 01:56 PM

reguardless of the size of my quilts, I hang them on regular curtain rods that are attached to the wall using 3m metal hanges that are removeable . The rod needs to be thin and fit the hangers. I sew the small curtain rings on the back of the quilt. I then use decorative cording to put through the rings then place the rod through the rings. The decorative 3m hangers really do the job and allows me to move my quilts around without wall damage.

SewExtremeSeams 10-16-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
for small ones, I use safety pins...put one pin into each top corner (on the back) with the joint/circle end up, making sure that the circles are of equal height and that when they bear the weight of the hanging they don't show above the quilt. Put nails or straight pins in the wall and hook the safety pin circles over them. If you use straight pins in the wall you can cut off the heads so they are only as long as you need them and they leave very small holes.

VERY clever! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kathy N: your idea is very clever also and affordable :D

littlehud 10-16-2010 05:22 PM

I use the triangles in the top corners and I love the way that works. All my holiday wall hangings are the same size so I use the same stick for all of them.