Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Important is Your Stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-important-your-stash-t139641.html)

grandma Janice 07-24-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by jshorty
I just started quilting this year & have not figure out why quilters have a stash. I can see a stash of leftover material from a previous project but why do quilters buy material just because they like it & have no idea what they are going to use it for. Does a stash ever go down or does it just keep growing? It seems to me that having a stash is a waste of money. Planning your projects & buying on sale seems more ecomincal

I buy material at garage or yard sales or thrift shops when I see something that I think I will use at some point. It's much cheaper than paying the high price for new stuff. I have made many quilts using that material and I keep adding to it when I see a bargain. and Yes it does keep growing. I think I will have to live well beyond 100 to use it all up. I'll will it to someone else who quilts.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-24-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jshorty
I just started quilting this year & have not figure out why quilters have a stash. I can see a stash of leftover material from a previous project but why do quilters buy material just because they like it & have no idea what they are going to use it for. Does a stash ever go down or does it just keep growing? It seems to me that having a stash is a waste of money. Planning your projects & buying on sale seems more ecomincal

That may work for you but it doesn't work for others, including me. Having a stash provides me with some creativity in planning, sometimes just a piece of fabric I have dictates what I will make next.
Besides, I have to play with my fabric sometimes :D
Mine has gone both ways- up and down LOL

BettyGee 07-24-2011 02:07 PM

My stash is a source of pure delight. I know that if I live to be 150 I can't use all of it, but I'm sure going to try and make a big dent in it. Sometimes when I'm working I'll stop and just look at all the beautiful colors and designs, makes me feel very happy.

grandma Janice 07-24-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do

Originally Posted by DebraK
While I love fabric, it is only a material thing.

Good one!

ditto!!!

Glenda m 07-24-2011 02:10 PM

Let me say...If we had a fire, it wouldn't be the first thing I would save, but I like having it around. LOL

Nancylou 07-24-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
I have a stash, but not as big as most of my friends, I have a small closet full, But if my DH wanted me to mke him a quilt from any of my stash I would gladly do it , Maybe it is because we have only been married for 7 years,maybe not. He goes with me to quilt shops wherever we go, he finds wall hangings and asks me , "could you build that" I have a new 830 Bernina, how could I tell him no. He never had a quilt until I made him a kingsize for our bed, he loves it , I go with him to model airplane meets in Tucson, he goes with me to the quilt shop.Now I was married for 53 years to my forme r husband before he died of cancer, he never went with me to a shop or even looked at my quilts, never went with me to a quilt show, DH goes to the local quilt shows here in Lake Havasu,takes pictures of the quilts and helps with any thing I need during the show, That is how I got teh new 830, He saw it working at the last show,He sent me and my sister on a quilting cruise 2 years ago , Absolutely I would share my stash with him and if he would like to learn to sew I would teach him, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , Betty

I too have a husband that goes to all the quilt shops with me on vacation.....even suggests going to them. He is helping me design a quilt for our bed and is picking out the fabric. Also is going to build me a design wall for my newly painted sewing room. He's the best!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

Maybe1day 07-24-2011 02:35 PM

At the moment I would say that my stash is not that important to me. Guess I just don't have enough for it to behave a major impact on quilting or not :D

Maybe1day

lynnsim 07-24-2011 02:42 PM

I have a large stash and love almost everything. Even though I've been having detash sales, I still have a room full. With the high cost of fabrics and gas, I've been making all my stuff from my stash. I don't have a lot of yardage, but do have a larger variety.

sak658 07-24-2011 03:14 PM

I love what stash I have, and I usually have a quilt in mind when I purchase fabric. However, if it's on sale, I buy just to have more of a variety to work with. It could be solids, calicos, prints, florals, repros, worth every penny when its on sale. If its pretty, I get some..

smcfadden 07-24-2011 03:20 PM

I buy interesting fabric while I'm traveling so I can bring things home to audition when I want to do a new project.