Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Important is Your Stash?

Blog Entries
    In your world of quilting, how important is your stash?

Couldn't sew without it :)

My dh told me the other day he wanted to make a quilt of his own design. So while he is "designing" in his head I asked him if he wanted to look at fabrics to get for his quilt. he said, "I just thought I would use some of that fabric you have." I stared at him in total disbelief and asked him if he had lost his ever living mind. I would prefer to share my toothbrush with him than have him touch my stash.

Pretty important. If I don't have any, when I can't afford to buy fabric I couldn't still make things.

Blog Entries
    It saves a lot of gas. Most of my quilts come from my stash. Rarely do I have a quilt in mind when I purchase fabric. I would say my stash is moderate.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I just cleaned out my entire sewing room. In the process I found a lot of fabric I won't ever use so I took it out. Now I have all the fabrics I love in there. Still a lot, but much more manageable and I don't have to worry about running out any time soon.
    As long as I have my stash I'm happy!! :D

Blog Entries
    My other half knows that they could easily be (and would be)traded for more fabric!! Fabric is the top of the hiarchy here at my house!!

Blog Entries
    It makes me happy but also make me feel guilty at times.Wish I could sew faster.
    But being happy is important. DH, even though he comments at times about my stash, says if it makes you happy do it.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Last time we had to leave our apt. because there was potential for severe storms (we were expecting to be hit like Joplin did) I said a prayer for God to protect my stash as we walked out the door.

It used to bother me that I had so much fabric and I felt guilty because I don't have as much time to quilt anymore. But now, with the price of gas going up, quilt shops closing, and the price of fabric getting out of my budget range, I am VERY thankful for my stash. I can make any size quilt and any pattern just using fabrics I already have on hand.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Lets just say when we have to evacuate for the hurricanes it will be in the van!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Incredibly! It's as important as my machines, and the two are symbiotic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    I would prefer to share my toothbrush with him than have him touch my stash.

:thumbup: good one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIJul
    It used to bother me that I had so much fabric and I felt guilty because I don't have as much time to quilt anymore. But now, with the price of gas going up, quilt shops closing, and the price of fabric getting out of my budget range, I am VERY thankful for my stash. I can make any size quilt and any pattern just using fabrics I already have on hand.
    Ditto for me! Even though I sold four boxes of fabrics last week I still have enough to make enough quilts for years. But I still buy when the price is right :D

Probably wouldn't be making quilts if I didn't have my stash.

I could share with anyone who needs something I have. Unless its something I have already planned to use for something.

Power Poster
    I am in the process of using stuff from my stash for projects and only buying a extra piece if needed. Fabric gets dated if it is kept too long. Any dated fabrics I am cutting into strips for my ongoing Spiderweb quilt from Quiltville. I have about half my blocks done but will not sew them together until they are all done. You can better distribute your strips that way. I did notice last night as I used a piece of fabric from my stash from years ago that the quality is better. Most of us do have a gold mine in better fabric in our stashes but I want to use it all before I kick the bucket (in 30 yrs?) :lol:

When we thought of going to the hill country during hurricane Rita - the stash was in my van with all family photos and my machines. Figured everything else could be replaced.

Inspiration starts w/ my stash and then the fillers at the quilt store come
    love my stash :thumbup:

Very important. It's an inspiration. When I want to make something, I look for a pattern (here or on the internet in general) and then I go look for fabric in my stash. So, I'd say it's invaluable.

Top of my save list. :-))

After having to deal with my deceased grandma's stash, I've come to realize, not to hoard so much...it just makes more work for your loved ones that are left behind.

I've been feverishly selling or using stuff from my stash to help get it down to a more manageable amount. There was lots of stuff there I bought years ago and really liked at the time, but no longer feel an attachment to anymore. It's amazing how your styles change with the times.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

I guess I'm not as dedicated a quilter as you all are. My stash is just fabric and is replaceable. What isn't replaceable are my family, my pictures and family mementos. Any family member can use my stash at any time. That's what it is for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Last time we had to leave our apt. because there was potential for severe storms (we were expecting to be hit like Joplin did) I said a prayer for God to protect my stash as we walked out the door.
    Amen to that comment!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast