Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage? >

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 AM

Default Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

So I'm looking at various types of shelving for my fabric. Not sure what I want BUT while digging thru the tubs for the next project realize I have more chunks than yardage.

Now rethinking the type of shelving. I know I need one for books, magazines, and binders. One or two shelves for my pretty jelly rolls and then the rest odds and ends of fabric. Can't forget the scraps can I? So what make up your stash?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a bit of everything. I put smaller scraps in shoe boxes, tonals in Iris drawers by color, other fabrics are divided by their prints and bolts of 2 yard or more are stored in closet by color or print.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 AM

When it's organized. LOL. I have my batiks divided into plastic bins by color. My prints are just in bins. I have mostly batiks. They are fairly small bins, smaller than a milk crate that stack on each other. I have the yardage folded into the bins. I tried ruler fold on a shelf but didn't fully use the yardage. So they are ruler folded in bins. I have shelves for copies, magazines and books. The precuts and for the quilters gifts (I pick up all year long).
Old 11-15-2014, 06:32 AM

I have mine on bolt type cardboard that I cut down to size and wrapped my fabric around them. I put them on my shelves that way. The jelly rolls, charm packs and bundles I place in bins.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:43 AM

I'd say mine is about 2/3 chunks, 1/3 yardage. I started buying more yardage somewhere along the way as future projects solidified in my head, so when I shopped I was thinking setting squares and triangles, borders and backs. My yardage is wrapped on bolt boards shop owners no longer need--with their permission, of course.

Keeps the bulk and extra weight out of your drawers and makes it easy to find what you need as they line up nicely in a closet.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Everything 1 yard or bigger is on mini bolts. Under 1 yard is in 1 plastic bin, my fat quarters are all in 1 drawer and my scraps (smaller than 1/4) are in another bin.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 AM

I have all kinds of fabric sizes. All of mine is stored in plastic totes by color. So, for example, I have small blue and large blue in separate totes. Large is larger pieces and small is fat quarter size or smaller.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Comic boards, bolts, and bins. I also label amount of fabric on the larger yardage.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:15 PM

All of my stash is folded on shelves, stacked by color, with some fat quarter bundles stored in dresser drawers, and amounts above 2 yds together on a bottom shelf. I'm now out of shelf space, and don't know what I will do with additional fabric. Scraps that are leftover and too small to fold go in the scrap drawer, and when that is full, to a garbage bag, and when I fill up the third bag, I give the oldest one away. Short of getting a bigger house (which isn't on the agenda), I haven't figured out how I will deal with a larger stash. I want to be able to see what I have, and I need it to be easy to get to.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:33 PM

I am not sure what you mean by chunks.