Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important is Your Stash? >

How Important is Your Stash?

How Important is Your Stash?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Right now I am trying to curb my fabric spending, so I just "shop" my stash.
First I need to find the space to organize the stash. Finding what I want is always the biggest problem because the stash is never organized due to the lack of space.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 AM

my first post here. Just moved to Texas from Ky. Due to illness, I arrived at my daughter's with one suitcase and one carry-on bag. I had an amazing stash before the move to Texas but couldn't bring with me. My daughter bought me a tub of fabric at a yard sale. It is safe to say, most appreciated gift of all. Now I get to build my stash which will include all things Texas. First, I have to learn how to use my sewing machine all over again.

QuiltinMoma
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM

My husband always nags me about having too much fabric. So I only buy fabric if I need it for a project and if I have any left overs I find someone who wants it.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't know how to sewquilt without a stash. I've never been without one.
I have started most of my quilts with fabric from my stash. I may or may not add to it with a trip to the quilt store, it depends on the pattern and who (if I know) I'm making the quilt for.
I tend to buy without a project in mind. If I see fabric that I know I will use and think it is cat's pajamas, then I buy 2yards or more of it. Likewise if I find fabric that I believe would make a good backing fabric (I don't always use muslin) I buy maybe 4 yards of it.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Love my stash!!I've made whole quilts from it ....well almost...usually have to get something new for each quilt. Usually the backing as I don't have to many large pieces.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM

My stash is my insurance policy, my security blanket, no pun intended. I turn to my stash first when planning a new quilt as I dont get to shop much now. I look for fabrica and craft ing deals to pad my stash. When my husband an I were newly married he told me as long as I used what he bought me he would by me anything I wanted. I should have got that in writing!!! tee hee
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
In your world of quilting, how important is your stash?
Still cheaper than therapy.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM

I have a stash, but not as big as most of my friends, I have a small closet full, But if my DH wanted me to mke him a quilt from any of my stash I would gladly do it , Maybe it is because we have only been married for 7 years,maybe not. He goes with me to quilt shops wherever we go, he finds wall hangings and asks me , "could you build that" I have a new 830 Bernina, how could I tell him no. He never had a quilt until I made him a kingsize for our bed, he loves it , I go with him to model airplane meets in Tucson, he goes with me to the quilt shop.Now I was married for 53 years to my forme r husband before he died of cancer, he never went with me to a shop or even looked at my quilts, never went with me to a quilt show, DH goes to the local quilt shows here in Lake Havasu,takes pictures of the quilts and helps with any thing I need during the show, That is how I got teh new 830, He saw it working at the last show,He sent me and my sister on a quilting cruise 2 years ago , Absolutely I would share my stash with him and if he would like to learn to sew I would teach him, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , Betty
Old 07-24-2011, 01:42 PM

I have been collecting and buying fabric for years....but at any given time will share with anyone that needs some. I am working on what project I want to start with my daughter. I was fortunate to be able to purchase a dream sewing machine for less than half and have told my daughter that my older machine was hers. Now she cant wait to sew. I am looking for seasonal wall hangings or quilts that we can sew together and give away as Christmas Presents. Happy quilting....
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
I have a stash, but not as big as most of my friends, I have a small closet full, But if my DH wanted me to mke him a quilt from any of my stash I would gladly do it , Maybe it is because we have only been married for 7 years,maybe not. He goes with me to quilt shops wherever we go, he finds wall hangings and asks me , "could you build that" I have a new 830 Bernina, how could I tell him no. He never had a quilt until I made him a kingsize for our bed, he loves it , I go with him to model airplane meets in Tucson, he goes with me to the quilt shop.Now I was married for 53 years to my forme r husband before he died of cancer, he never went with me to a shop or even looked at my quilts, never went with me to a quilt show, DH goes to the local quilt shows here in Lake Havasu,takes pictures of the quilts and helps with any thing I need during the show, That is how I got teh new 830, He saw it working at the last show,He sent me and my sister on a quilting cruise 2 years ago , Absolutely I would share my stash with him and if he would like to learn to sew I would teach him, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , Betty
Your reply warmed my heart. It made me think of this week when we were out to eat and I was trying to explain Batik fabric to my hubby and he was listening so intently. He will gladly take me to quilt shops when we travel (and has been known to find some on google before we go) but waits in the car so he isn't as involved as your hubby but he is appreciative of how much this means to me. He's even asked when I come out of a shop with nothing, "What's wrong?" Not that that happens very often:)