Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important is Your Stash? >

How Important is Your Stash?

How Important is Your Stash?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM

My stash is made up of scraps. It is not that important. I buy fabrics only when I am ready to start a quilt and then only buy what I need.
One day I will make a scrappy quilt from my left overs and then believe it or not I won't even have a stash!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM

VERY!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 PM
lbc

I find I like to purchase all of my fabric for a quilt at the same time. I enjoy choosing the colors that really coordinate and do not care for scrappy quilts. Consequently, my stash is not that important to me and I willing share with anyone who sees a piece that they could use.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM

My stash has sentimental value. It came from my Mom who passed on last year. I'm making gifts for family and close friends. So all the gifts are from me and her both! This is why a became a quilter.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Getting more valuable since the price of cotton has gone crazy. I love my stash but wish it was more organized. Jan
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Well let's just say if the house was on fire, I would grab my little dog, my sewing maching, my stash and the rest would just have to fend for itself!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM

I have enjoyed reading this line of thinking about stash, and how important it is to each of you, I have a very small stash as I am building one in the last two years. Can you imagine, after sewing for over 30 years, and building a lovely stash,,,, our home was burglarized,,,,and the stash is gone. At first I was bitter, not a button, scissors,cutter, fabric, rulwr, or a pin left.. but relized quickly that it was all replaceable. Now I buy what I need, and starting over has been a blessing in which I have found many new friends,and realize the importance of what really counts in life.God bless you all.....jacie
Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM

I usually just read these comments. But I have to comment on it. We, our whole neighborhood was just hit by a flash flood last week. No time to grab anything. A lot of my stash went into a huge dumpster--sewer water! Yuck! My MIL was up visiting from FL and was sleeping in our family room in our finished basement. Firemen had to carry her up the steps. I now know the true meaning of a flash flood and that my stash isn't as important as I thought! We lost everything in the basement plus 6 cars including my MIL's.And my neighbors lost just as much. But thanks to God, no lives were lost.So I agree with Jacie. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
oneteapot/Laurel
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Couldn't make the quilts without my stash. Last few quilts done only with my stash fabric!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Before I retired over 10 years ago I felt that when we retired and would be living in Social Security I would not have the money to buy much material, , several shops closed in Bountiful , and Salt Lake city,Utah so I bought yardage for special quilts and yarn for knitting , Also friends gave me material and yarn, then I moved , down to the desert of Arizona, My husband was dying of cancer by then so I did not knit or sew, Now it is many years later, I am quilting with some of the materail and some purchases for special items, but I still use the small stash I have for small projects like pot holders, wallhangings, charity work and friends, I feel well blessed, Don't need a large stash or even want one :-P