Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long does it take to quilt a queen size quilt on a rented LA machine approximately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-quilt-queen-size-quilt-rented-la-machine-approximately-t144084.html)

jitkaau 08-11-2011 04:14 AM

Instead of using pins or clamps to position your quilt.

jitkaau 08-11-2011 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
Can you guys explain what the deal is with the zippers? I'm a newb- why would you need a zipper on a quilt?

instead of using clamps or pins to position your quilt

BMP 08-11-2011 04:22 AM

I do it for my friend, (its her business) to help her out when I am not working at a day job. I would guess at least 4/5 hours, stopping time to load bobbins and rolling. It probably only takes 20-30- minutes per row to do the actual sewing part depending on how tight you have the meandor set up. She also has a statler computerized machine.

sguillot 08-11-2011 04:47 AM

I have a long arm and personally I think 4 hours of training isn't long enough. Unless you are going to do it a lot I wouldn't invest the money it will take in supplies. In my opinion the owner should furnish the zipper etc. at a small charge.

KSellers 08-11-2011 05:16 AM

I just did my first quilt on a rented LA, and it was almost queen size. It took my 4 hours and looked terrible. My advise is to start on a small quilt so that you don't feel overwhelmed, and can practice. Our shop has charity quilts that you can practice on. I wish I had done that first. In fact it's my plan to do that at least a couple of times before I do another one for me. They are smaller than lap size, and all I would have to pay for is the rental and thread. Well worth it for that learning curve.

katcox 08-11-2011 06:42 AM

Wow, 200. for a class, We only pay 90. here for 4 hours. O maybe your taking yours one on one. Ours are usually 2 to a class.

Oistin 08-11-2011 06:47 AM

Is there a tutorial showing how to use a zipper on a longarm. I am not getting the visual.My imagination is not so great at the moment. LOL

caspharm 08-11-2011 07:58 AM

It depends on the pattern, but I have quilted some with a panto in about 6 hours.

Baloonatic 08-11-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by candi

Originally Posted by gaevren
Can you guys explain what the deal is with the zippers? I'm a newb- why would you need a zipper on a quilt?

Somebody who knows more than me may be able to explain this better, but when you pin your quilt top to a zipper and your back to a zipper, it makes loading the quilt on the LA that much faster as you only need to zip the backing on the appropriate canvas/rod and roll that, then zip the top on the appropriate canvas/ rod and roll that and wallah, you are ready to quilt.
Hope this makes sense.

I use velcro on my headers

OzarksGma 08-11-2011 10:38 AM

What are Red Snappers? I do Long Arm and have an HQ-16. Sometimes I pin if it is a small quilt and if it is a larger one I use a basting stitch and sew the backing and top on to the leaders.
The snappers may be something I may have to look in to.
Thanks
OzarksGma