Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Long Does It Take (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-t106053.html)

pugmom 03-08-2011 12:04 PM

How long does it normally take you to finish a quilt top? I work full time and only can sew some evenings/weekends. I am making my first quilt, king size, I know that is stupid but I want to be able to use it. It is a snow ball pattern. I think I have about half of my blocks completed.

kwhite 03-08-2011 12:05 PM

Anywhere from a few hours to many years. It all depends on the pattern.

rusty quilter 03-08-2011 12:06 PM

When I worked, it took me about 2 years to quilt a queen sized quilt on a frame. I had 2 children, but in general quilted when I could. It really doesn't matter how long...it matters more that you are still doing it. Time passes anyway.

LyndaK 03-08-2011 12:07 PM

It takes me years to complete anything. I stop, start, stop...it's about the process for me and not the product. Good thing with the speed I finish stuff! Enjoy your process when you can.:)

Murphy 03-08-2011 12:07 PM

Using some evenings and weekends you could, potentially, finish in a month or so. The trick is to sew on it a little each time you are able. Soon you become proficient at maximizing your time and "walla" soon it is done. Please share pics as you progress. We would love to see it.

BTW, I made a queen size the first time I made a quilt; I too wanted useable. Not crazy at all!!

Izaquilter 03-08-2011 02:02 PM

a lifetime! LOL I have one that I'm handquilting now that I know it has to be 11 yrs old! It is a double wedding ring that I made, put it away & still had the cornerstones to connect, put it away, got it out, put it away & just recently when I had some serious health conditions, I got it out & I'm now determined to finish it! I have 4 of the rings quilted & mannnnnnnny more to go! But luckily my health has stabilized & I'm at least motivated to quilt it! Good luck on your first!

SimpleCook29 03-08-2011 02:33 PM

My first quilt and its a king size! Not nuts and I am going on about a year on it.. I hear ya... lucky for us we have all the wonderful people on here to help us!

ptquilts 03-08-2011 02:50 PM

I used to handquilt a full size quilt in about two weeks, working full time. I am paying the price for it now, with carpal tunnel syndrome and a bone spur on my finger.

beaniekins 03-08-2011 03:23 PM

It depends on if I get sidetracked with a new project or not. If I'm disciplined, I can finish a top in two days. The fastest I've ever completed a quilt from start to finish was a lap size D9P that took me about a week. The longest it ever took me . . . well, let's not talk about that right now. :lol:

EagarBeez 03-08-2011 04:44 PM

I don't feel so bad now. It takes me anywhere between 3to 6 months depending on how often I get to the machine. I have a regualar everyday sewing machine. Between cutting blocks, pinning and sewing takes time, then to put it all together, pin again, binding and then tying, I would say start to finish about 5 mths