Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long have you been quilting???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-have-you-been-quilting-t27269.html)

KathyTries2quilt 10-18-2009 08:03 AM

Yes it is. My grand daughter uses it as much as her mother did as a child. I'm going to get her to bring it with her next week sometime so that i can take a picture of it and post for everyone.

NorBanaquilts 10-18-2009 09:27 AM

Kathy, It would be great to see it.

bebe 10-18-2009 09:29 AM

well Donna how long have you been quilting??????

bebe 10-18-2009 09:30 AM

oh goody show us a pic of your quilt Kathy :D

NorBanaquilts 10-18-2009 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been quilting for about 5 years. I was layed off from a job and started watching Simply Quilts because I've always loved quilts. After a couple of months of watching every morning I said I can do that!

So I went and bought fabric, drug out my old Kenmore and went to work. I was hooked from the beginning.

I've never entered a quilt in a show. And I've done about 15 lap & Queen size quilts. And numerous wallhangings, placemats, table runners etc.

This has been posted before but here's the first one.

pam1966 10-18-2009 09:51 AM

Kathy, that is a great story. I love what we can do when no one tells us that we "can't"!

I've been sewing on and off for about 20 years. Mostly it was clothes for my daughter (she's 19 now). Then we moved to a house with a ton of windows, so I made the curtains and drapes for them. My biggest accomplishment is the drapes that are 22 feet long. To this day I still don't know how I did that.

I didn't really get interested in quilting until June of this year. I don't know why it took me so long! I guess because I had a "surprise" baby and I stay at home with him (he's almost 2 now) and I needed another hobby, lol.

I started off with a rail fence quilt. Then I made one in the Around the World pattern for my daughter. Then a simple one for a friend who married her high school sweetheart after 30 years (so romantic!). And a throw for my sister-in-law who always helps us out. I just finished one that's a sort of modified rail fence for a girl at our church who has leukemia. Plus a Christmas wall hanging.

Now I'm on the prowl for a new one!

Ninnie 10-18-2009 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Grandmother quilted all her life. I can remember sitting and working the peddle on her machine. She was still lap quilting up into her 90's. My cousin would mark and sandwich the squares, and she would sit and quilt them. When she passed away at the age of 96, all her quilts went to her sons and daughters, and being only a grandaughter, I did not receive one. I bought out all the kids, and now own the old home place. While cleaning out my grandmother's linen closet, I found 6 very old bow tie squares that had been hand sewn from feed sacks. I brought them home with me, and a quilter was born. That was 13 years ago, an di have no idea how many quilts I have made. I do all hand quilting, so it takes me awhile to finish one.
Here is a picture of the first quilt I made, for My DH, He is sitting here on the couch now covered up with it.

Olivia's Grammy 10-18-2009 10:41 AM

I made my first quilt in 1967, when expecting my first child. I have mostly done clothes. Didn't have a clue about quilting. I used a coloring book for pictures and appliqued. Didn't have a clue about that either. I made two quilts, even used them for my son. I've had to replace the satin binding, but the quilts are still good. Prayfully my daughter will get to use them if God blesses her with a baby. In the 80's my wonderful MIL got cancer. She wanted to teach me to quilt, but was never able to. She did give me alot of blocks. My favorites were one inch squares that she had pieced while pregnant with my husband in 1937. I used them and some of her other precious blocks and created a quilt which I quilted by hand, even use the backing, muslin, to wrap around for the binding. Many garments later, when I quilt work about nine years ago I started quilting, because I didn't need clothes as much. Now I teach quilting in my home, even have a Handiquilter. How many quilts have I made? I've never counted them. I do journal most of them and give most of them away. I still make most of my clothes. The picture you see with my name is my son's baby girl. Soon I'll making her clothes. I've already made her 8 quilts.

Barbm 10-18-2009 10:52 AM

I've been quilting since '04- or was it '05? Anway, I consider myself to be a newbie since there are so many things I still want to learn.

I bought a "kit" from Wal-Mart- it had a 6 1/2" x 13" ruler and 4 patterns in it. I had a rotary cutter and mat from years of crafting so I dug that out. Fabric- $1.00 a yard from Wal-Mart. After all, I'm learning and I don't know if I will like this. I made a single Irish chain for my son's twin bed. Backing is his twin sheet from sheet set he no longer needed. Binding- I brought it around from the back. I can look at it now and see tons of mistakes- I had no walking foot and I didn't mark my diagonal lines- I went by sight. But, you know what, it's my favorite. It's soft and cuddly and I've had to repair it more than once.

Since then, I've made many quilts. My techniques have improved, my fabric stash has grown and I am always asked to make them for gifts so I guess I've gotten better. Much of my knowledge had been gleaned from all the incredibly talented quilters here on this list. I love this board and all it has to offer.

So now I look back at that first quilt and think- what was I thinking- how could I not like quilting? It grabbed me and hasn't let go.

sewnsewer2 10-18-2009 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I started in 2000. I made my 1st one for some dear friends as a wedding gift.

I've never entered one in a show but have made over 30 so far.

This was my 1st one and quilted by hand, now I machine quilt.

my 1st one, for a wedding gift and the only one hand quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53364[/ATTACH]