Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-make-quilt-t38613.html)

vjengels 03-04-2010 02:59 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about 'how long' it takes you to finish, in fact, you don't HAVE to finish, if you find another project you want to start. I have half a dozen tops going back to 1998 not long after I got serious about quilting, they'll get done when the time is right. On the other hand, I finished other quilts in a couple weeks (tied), pieced and quilted 12 quilts the first year I started quilting. Hand quilted 1 twinsize sampler the week I sat in the hospital with my daughter...I started a whole cloth by hand in 2003,did 1/4th of it, then in 2007 I decided I chose the wrong type of fabric( poly blend.... I know..) I used it as a backing all 3 layers; on a scrap top that I thought was UGLY after I finished it, so the whole mess got tied, and lives in a duvet cover... The point is quilts get finished when they get finished, don't allow other people's progress be your measurement. Your pace is perfect.

Wine Woman 03-04-2010 03:03 PM

A long time! I work and work and work on them. This is my hobby so I can only work a little at a time. My heart goes into each one so when I can't give anymore to that one I push to finish. Since I'm doing a swap right now they are just there and screaming at me! I'll get to them soon I hope. I don't tell anyone I'm making a quilt for them until nearly completed. That's usually the binding stage. This seems to take me the longest because I have to sit still for long periods at a time and it's extremely hard for me!

Oklahoma Suzie 03-04-2010 03:04 PM

For me, it depends on if I need to make it for someone, or if it's for me to keep. If I have a dead line, I can go faster.

bailey 03-04-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?

Hi,

Welcome, this board is such a wonderful resource and full of really nice people! The pictures posted are also very inspiring.

I have only recently found this board as well. I don't think how long it takes to make a quilt factors into it at all. I find the longer it takes the more ideas I get so in the long run it just makes for a more love filled quilt. Hope we will be seeing pictures of your WIP.

gmak1953 03-04-2010 03:09 PM

Is it common to have many quilts started? I've never started a new one until I had the one completed!
BTW what is a WIP? Sorry to be slow!

Jim's Gem 03-04-2010 03:17 PM

a WIP is a work in process. Not quite a UFO (unfinished fabric object)
For some of us it is quite common to have several projects going at once. I currently have 8 current projects and a couple dozen UFO's. I love to start new projects. They usually end up sitting around a little while waiting for me to quilt them on my regular machine.

quiltsRfun 03-04-2010 03:32 PM

I'm not a fast quilter either. I had one that took me 30 years to finish! I try not to compare what I get done with what others do. We're all different. The important thing is that you're enjoying what you're doing. I applaud you for keeping busy even though you have health problems.

quiltsRfun 03-04-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
Is it common to have many quilts started? I've never started a new one until I had the one completed!

Sometimes I get a mental block when I'm working on a quilt and it helps to put it aside for a while. So I have quite a few quilts started. When I come back to the project with a fresh perspective I can make better decisions. Meanwhile I've been able to make some progress on one of the others I've set aside.

shaverg 03-04-2010 03:38 PM

It takes me from a few months to years.

Marjpf 03-04-2010 03:41 PM

IT depends. Some have been just a few hours - like the Downy quilts for kids. It came pre-cut and was a super easy pattern. I've had some take well over a year for the top, then about another year if they were hand quilted.