Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-make-quilt-t38613.html)

gmak1953 03-04-2010 02:41 PM

I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?

MNQuilter 03-04-2010 02:43 PM

Um, forever and I don't have any health problems! Seriously, I've been working on my DS's quilt for 2 years, a lap quilt for 2+ years and DD's for almost a year. I hand quilt at this point too, so that takes longer for me. Maybe if I could lock the kids out and just sew I might get something done. Such is life! :0)

athenagwis 03-04-2010 02:44 PM

Well I have been quilting for 8 years and only have 6 quilts finished. I have 9-10 in the works right now!! LOL So it takes me a long time. The sad part is NONE of my designs are even anything that is time consuming!!! I wouldn't worry about how long it takes, so long as it is made with love. I enjoy the process of piecing and quilting more so than the actual using of quilts, so I don't worry about rushing to finish them really.

Cheers!
Rachel

QuiltingGrannie 03-04-2010 02:46 PM

Are you talking just the tops or the full quilt?

I made my grandson's quilt complete from start to shipping for Christmas in 6 weeks. It would have been less, but had schedule issues with DD who was helping me finish quilting it. (It was my first bed size quilt.
I just finished the top to one for my GD in 2 weeks. Still have to sandwich it and quilt that one.

The one I'm working on now ----- 2 weeks and counting !!!!

It also depends on how many hours I'm here on the board, learning and helping others. LOL

nativetexan 03-04-2010 02:47 PM

they say the best things in life are worth waiting for. quilts too.
so don't worry. i have tons of tops waiting on me. i intend to finish them, really i do.

Marcia 03-04-2010 02:48 PM

I made a quilt top last weekend---it was a really easy pattern!! It is at the long arm quilters right now. I hope to have it back next week for binding.

More realistically, it usually takes me a month or more to make a top because I just have too much else going on to spend as much time as I would like in my quilt room.

Boston1954 03-04-2010 02:49 PM

I have one in the frame right now that was started in 2008.

Jim's Gem 03-04-2010 02:52 PM

It would all depend on the pattern. I have a couple easy patterns that I have made many quilts out of and I can whip up the top in about 4-5 hours in the evening. It takes me alittle while to find the time to sandwich and then quilt it, by machine, but could realistically finish in a weekend and have done that before. A more involved pattern with more cutting and trimming would take a lot longer to get done.

gmak1953 03-04-2010 02:57 PM

I'm talking about both the tops and putting it all together. They both seem to take a long time for me. I don't have a long arm -I just have a regular sewing machine; which seems to make it much tougher! Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing :)-I'm sure that's possible Thanks for all your replies!

Boston1954 03-04-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I'm talking about both the tops and putting it all together. They both seem to take a long time for me. I don't have a long arm -I just have a regular sewing machine; which seems to make it much tougher! Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing :)-I'm sure that's possible!

I noticed that you joined today. Welcome to the group!

If you have any issues that you need answers for, this is the place to be.