Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Long - start to finish - does it take you to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-start-finish-does-take-you-make-quilt-t140774.html)

AZTeri 07-27-2011 05:36 PM

Assuming you already have the fabric and it's a pretty traditional pattern, and you quilt it yourself as opposed to sending it out - how long does it take you, start to finish, to complete a quilt. Let's say twin sized :)

I keep reading that some of you are doing what appears to be several a week! It takes me at least 2 months to finish a quilt. Do some of you work all day on your quilting? (I can't, my back/neck/shoulders would kill me! And dh would feel rather neglected if I did :) )

Jim's Gem 07-27-2011 05:41 PM

It totally depends on the pattern. I have a couple of patterns that are really easy and I have made several. In November I made 11 quilts in 21 days. 7 of these were baby size, basically Quilts for Kids pattern. 5 of them were lap size,(warm wishes pattern) one slightly larger than the others. The larger ones just had basically stitch in the ditch with a wavy stitch and I FMQ's the 7 little ones.

I have whipped up a lap size in 3 days. Others take me longer.

DogHouseMom 07-27-2011 05:44 PM

I see some people here whip out quilts like I whip out casseroles. Not me.

One reason is that I don't make too many large block quilts, I like small pieces and complication. Another reason is that I don't sew every day. I may go several days or even weeks without entering the sewing room. Lastly is that I am slow, I take my time in every step from choosing fabric all the way through binding. I contemplate each step and then go. I also don't smoke, drink or eat in my sewing room so I take breaks.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them :)

amma 07-27-2011 05:45 PM

Even a twin sized can take a while, depending on how intriquite the blocks are and the quilting too...
It also depends on how much time you can devote to sewing each day :D:D:D

fabric_fancy 07-27-2011 05:46 PM

it depends on so many things.

i've made a twin size quilt in 2 weeks and i had another that was all hand appliqued and hand quilted that took 12 months.

leatheflea 07-27-2011 05:48 PM

Depends on the pattern. Most quilts I can quilt in less than a week. I dont work, sew as much as I like. I quilt till I start "feeling" it. Then clean, do some canning, bake. And then back to the sewing. Piecing a quilt can be done in about a week. If your just sewing squares together, that can be done in an afternoon. When I worked it would take about 2 months for me to get a quilt done start to finish.

Jingle 07-27-2011 05:52 PM

I have made one in a few days, I could do about a double to queen in 2-3 weeks. i went back to work and now it takes me longer, spend too much time on computer.

rusty quilter 07-27-2011 06:15 PM

Got to go with "depends on the quilt". I have "whipped a baby quilt" out in a week--(given that I was home and willing to sew for that week!) but taken months or other more detailed patterns.

auntpiggylpn 07-27-2011 06:18 PM

Depends on how soon I need it done! I did a pretty simple one with MQ in 1 week recently

Cyn 07-27-2011 06:20 PM

Sometimes forever and sometimes a day! Doesn't really help does it but it just depends on so many things ;)