Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to make a large quilt in a small space!!!! Quilt as you go??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-large-quilt-small-space-quilt-you-go-t168548.html)

teddysmom 11-17-2011 06:19 AM

Her name is Sharon Schamber. Just google her name in and her u-tube video is easy to understand.

shnnn 11-17-2011 06:31 AM

spray baste is your friend... I have spread a king size quilt over my dining table and sprayed it together. I've also used my floor - spread it as flat as I could and rolled on side up so that a little better than half layed completely flat then spray in sections starting in the middle. once that side is done roll it up and spread the other half flat... then flip and spray the back down the same way

sarahrachel 11-17-2011 06:39 AM

Even though my house is big (tall and narrow) we don't have much floor space to baste quilts either. I use my mom's full sized bed (I mostly do twin or smaller) but I have done 2 larger quilts and I put as much as I can on her bed, pin heavily, then slide and do the other part that didn't fit on the bed. I too don't know where to go do pin large quilts as I'm in the middle of a queen sized quilt. I may show up at my church and do it there if my mom's bed doesn't work to well. Good luck though!

ann31039 11-17-2011 07:39 AM

Ive used sharon scomburgs board method and it works really well. You do it at the table

Jingle 11-17-2011 08:15 AM

I clamp backing, batting and top on my glass topped dining table, moving them until all is pinned. I don't use spray basting as you have to have all surounding areas covered to catch overspray. I also have a pet bird and afraid it would harm her.

greenini 11-17-2011 10:43 AM

Some good ideas, I had not thought of folding it in half and doing half at a time. It's so much easier to do it at home then try to get out to a place!

nea 11-17-2011 11:02 AM

I dont't know your location in UK, but there is a lady from Stoke On Trent, North Staffordshire, that has a lovely & fun blog. She meets in a number of different places. Seems like a great group of ladies. Reading her blog is a bright spot in my day. If you are not near, perhaps she can give you some locations or shops that may have room for you to work.
Her blog is at
angiesquilts.blogspot.com

QuiltnLady1 11-17-2011 11:32 AM

Here is some information about quilting in thirds that I found somewhere and have used:
  1. Start by making the whole sandwich -- unfortunately there is no getting away from laying out the entire quilt (unless you are doing QAYG)
  2. Fold back the top only on the left side and cut away the outside third of the BATT ONLY – I use a wavy cut so there is not a straight line.
  3. Before moving it, mark the top and bottom on both sides of the cut line so you get the top and bottom on correctly. Use something like A/A, B/B. Set that piece of batting aside. The letters will show you precisely where to put the piece back. Your cutting line does not have to be perfectly neat since it will fit precisely against the other piece.
  4. Once the batting has been removed, roll the top and back and pin so they do not flop around or let sewn to the back by accident. Use safety pins – or something on the end of the straight pins to keep from getting poked.
  5. Repeat the process on the other side, folding back the top, cutting the batting, marking on both sides of the cutting line. Use different markings for the top and bottom here (like C/C and D/D).
  6. Roll the top and backing together and pin in place.
  7. You now have a long skinny quilt. It should fit under the head of your machine with no trouble.
  8. Quilt to within 2-3" of the sides. Some lines of quilting will be stopped in the middle of a line. End the stitching so it will not ravel loose but you will be going back and sewing over those
    places.
  9. When you have completed the middle, lay the quilt out again. BE sure to spread the whole quilt out – otherwise you can get ripples.
  10. You can choose either side to do first. Unroll the top and back.
  11. Smooth the back out against the table and tape the loose edge. Put the batting back in place.
    Carefully match the cut edges and the lettering – don’t overlap, just abut the edges.
  12. Using a needle and thread, make a big XXXXX row of stitches to attach the two pieces. Unroll the top over the batting and pin securely in place (or spray baste).
  13. Put the bulk of the quilt to the outside of the machine so you are dealing only with one third to quilt.
  14. Be sure that you quilt across the join as the first part of your quilting.
  15. When you repeat all the steps for the last third, you have to rotate the quilt so the bulk is still to the outside. (I normally start from the top of the center section, then I do two of the thirds from top to bottom and the final third from bottom to top.)
  16. The borders should be done last and can be done with the bulk to the left (or outside) of the machine during the whole process.

quilt confused :) 11-17-2011 04:14 PM

Big big thank you to all that have replied x

hi all, thank you so much for all those that have replied to my post

i am currently reading and re~reading all the advice you have given me! some of it seems complicated haha (bet it isnt really!) but i am having a good read and am googling some of the links suggested to try and get a clearer picture :)

keep it coming guys ~ i really do appreciate the time you have all taken to help me out with this :)

lisa x

ps...good to know i am not alone in my dilema ;)

damaquilts 11-18-2011 04:06 AM

This is also a problem for me. Not enough floor space and although I do have a bed I could use it would leave me in pain for days from bending over. I use my cutting table. I center the back and clamp using large binder clips
.... http://tinyurl.com/7pcfr82 ...... I spray baste and smooth down the batting and move the clips to to hold both back and batting.... then more spray and the top and again move the binder clips so its holding all 3 layers. After I pin that I slide the quilt , fold back layer by layer and spray and smooth and reclip and pin , I do this on all 4 sides that were hanging over the edge of the table. Before I had the binder clips and cutting table I used blue painters tape and the kitchen table. Hope this makes sense.