Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to make a quilt grow???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-quilt-grow-t191323.html)

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 06-12-2012 03:47 AM

I think getting a coordinating bedspread and laying it on top would be the wisest thing to do. I have a king sized bed and I think that's what I'm going to make for it. I don't want to worry about cleaning a huge quilt.

helenquilt 06-12-2012 05:01 AM

I just extented one by putting a piano key border around it. I didn't even remove the binding i just covered it up. It really turned out pretty. Sorry I don't have a picture, it was for someone else. The border was 9" but you could do any size to make what you needed.

jad1044 06-12-2012 05:16 AM

With it already a finished quilt - and using it on a smaller bed, just use it as a coverlet like one other person said here - using it over another quilt - or bedspread, or the bedrunner idea is great! Many ways of getting around having to add on.

AudreyB 06-12-2012 05:29 AM

How nice that she wants to still be able to use the quilt and isn't just going to put it in a closet somewhere.

Teri D 06-12-2012 07:06 AM

I got a thin solid white (but can be any color) coverlet as the "base" cover for each of my beds. They are lightweight and it makes it easy to make the bed. I can then display whatever quilt I want on top of it -- sometimes opened up and sometimes folded. I change the quilts at least seasonally and I make shams or throw pillow covers or pillow cases to match for a coordinated look. I've also started making bed runners or lap sized quilts rather than large quilts. They are easier for everyone to handle, less time-consuming to make, less costly, and more fun to make. My attention span seems to be getting shorter all the time -- I've decided that I must have something I call "Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder" -- too many things I want to do!!!!!!!

Skittl1321 06-12-2012 07:18 AM

I think it would make a beautiful throw at the bottom of the bed. It can be pulled up to take a nap under (when you don't want to mess up the whole bed) or as an extra blanket on a very cold night.

I wouldn't want to risk ruining a finished quilt by trying to do more to it. This is a pretty involved request, IMO.

MimiBug123 06-12-2012 07:47 PM

I'm thinking -- bed runner. Maybe make some shams or throw pillows to match it and it will be precious. It will be a coordinating set instead of something that might look mended if you try to add on to it!

justflyingin 06-13-2012 08:20 AM

I wouldn't try to amend to a quilt. I think it will look like that is what you did--but that is just me. I'd go with what most have suggested and use it as a runner at the food of the bed. Or draped over a chair.

crafterrn1 06-13-2012 08:48 AM

Why not use the quilt as a bed scarf at the bottom of the bed. Use a bedspread or top sheet to match the quilt colors!
Luann in CT