Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-%22works-progress%22-do-you-normally-work-time-t23547.html)

ScubaK 07-31-2009 07:14 PM

When I first started it was one at a time...Now I cannot tell you how many I have in the works. Whether it is a single block, a quilt in various stages, or a wallhanging or whatever.
I am going to try this month of August to get some of these things completed.
Probably would help if I would get off the 'puter!
Kirsten

RedGarnet222 07-31-2009 07:18 PM

I have 4 older tops finished up that need quilting and have been around a long time. Two that are heirlooms that are waiting to be quilted that I finished the summer. I have finished and gifted so many I can't count them all though. (Does that count in my favor ...LOL!) Currently I have five in the works at different stages. And three I have bought everything for and waiting for me to make.

My next door neighbor just gave me a partially sewn one from a class she took three years ago she didn't finish. She decided she hated it. I admire her for admitting it and just letting it go. I think we all could take a lesson from her generousity and courage. I am hoping that I can make it alright. She had cut it out completely and stored it in a plastic zip bag kinda wonky and it is a lot of bias edges. We will see ... I think it will be fun to try.

I think that it depends on the person. If it bothers you to have someting waiting for a while. Finish it. I personally enjoy having them around like old friends. :-)

In my defense, I spent the beginning of the year finishing up tons of wip/ufo's. It felt great.

judee0624 07-31-2009 07:26 PM

When I first started, I too worked on one at a time but was too anxious to finish up to get to another project. Now I have several going on at a time. 4 are BOMs and one is a monthly banner (see avatar), plus a bunch of Yo Yos for while I watch TV. Then I have a quilt that needs binding and another that has to be assembled. I am a finisher too. The smaller projects help me feel a sense of accomplishment while doing something on the larger ones. Plus, if I am tired of one project, I just go to another.

judee

Susy 07-31-2009 07:33 PM

I was only doing one at a time til I joined this board but now I keep starting something just so I will remember that I want to do it in future. I am going to try not to have more than 2 or 3, kind of worried I might get too many going & never finish any!

butterflywing 07-31-2009 07:34 PM

i had 6 in the works and called halt. now i have 2 of those completed, one almost done, and the rest waiting their turn. no more until i finish them all.

edit: 7 to start. 3 completed. one almost done. the rest are in line.

Marcia 07-31-2009 07:39 PM

Well, Eddie, I am not sure exactly how to answer this. I usually only work on one quilt at a time. BUT---if anything goes wrong along the way, or something happens and I have to put it aside for a while I have a tendency to move on to another project and not finish the first one (or two or three). My problem is more of a UFO thing than a WIP thing. I have so many tops finished and never quilted, or tops that I just need to spend another hour or two with..............I will never live long enough to finish them all...........

Ninnie 07-31-2009 10:18 PM

I usually have at least 3 going 1 I'm just starting, one for lap quilting when I'm in the mood , and one that I have almost finished. I am bad about getting to the binding stage and laying them aside for awhile.
Of course in between all that I am planning another 3 or 4 in my head, don't know if those count or not!

nellebelles 07-31-2009 10:35 PM

My sister and I have what we call "the 3 project rule". If we have three projects going, then we can't do anymore until at least one of those is done. Well...that seems great--in theory! I am trying really hard to get down to three projects :shock: ! I have said no to several BOM's that I would have liked to participate in, but there are these UFO's waiting to be done and I am seriously trying to get down to three! And then once I get there, I want to set a budget for myself for my quilting stuff (tools, fabric, etc.) so that I don't go overboard again. I tend to say yes fairly quickly to my family for projects they ask me to do (for example, I just finished a quilt for a raffle for my mom's church, all except the binding and I will do that next week or
so...). Those kinds of things get in the way of finishing my own projects--not that I am complaining--it is all labors of love--and I enjoy the process. Once I am able to get down to the three project rule, I will most likely have a hand applique quilt going, a charity quilt going, and a pieced one for a family member (trying to plan quilts for each grandchild--we're up to 22 grands now and not even half of them have quilts from me yet!)

May in Jersey 07-31-2009 11:25 PM

When I began quilting I would finish one quilt before beginning another project. Then I discovered quilting message boards and found out about UFO's and lost it. Been doing pretty good recently. This past week I finished a baby quilt needed for next moth's baby shower, for once I won't be finishing a quilt the night before I give it. I turned leftover blocks into some smaller quilts. So that leaves only granddaugher's lap quilt that is half done. Oh, forgot of about challenges, one for Guild, 3 for my small groups and several sets of exhange blocks, all in different stages of finishing. That's about 7 projects left to finish. Not too bad considering some of you gals said you can't count high enough to number your UFO's. LOL! May in Jersey.

CindyBee 08-01-2009 01:48 AM

As far as quilting, I like to work on one project at a time. I'm way too messy in my sewing room to have several things going at once :oops: I do like to have another project planned and ready to start as soon as I'm finished with the current one, though.