Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-%22works-progress%22-do-you-normally-work-time-t23547.html)

Eddie 07-31-2009 05:39 PM

I saw someone post in another thread about how they normally have 3 different quilts going at once - one that is being pieced, and two that they are quilting (one by machine and one by hand). I've been just working on one thing at a time until completion, maybe I'm just single minded and can't do more than one thing at once. :) Although, I'm getting ready to start on a cathedral window quilt which I think will take me quite a while, so I will probably need at least one other project going at the same time to keep my sanity.

How many things do you normally have going at once?

kwhite 07-31-2009 05:41 PM

I didn't go through school long enough to count that high. I only have an Associates degree.

kluedesigns 07-31-2009 05:44 PM

i work on 3 or 4 at at time much like the person you mentioned except i move them along at the same pace.

i cut all the quilts at the same time, then i piece them all, then i quilt them all.

i find my time is more efficient if i work in an assembly line fashion.

BlueChicken 07-31-2009 05:46 PM

LOL

I can count that high, I just don't want too! ;-)

I have several BOM's I'm doing, one that's hand applique, and three or four that are machine pieced. Plus a hexagon quilt that's being hand pieced. And numerous other projects!

What I work on depends on how I'm feeling at that time.... if I want quiet reflective time I do my hand stitching... sometimes inspiration hits and I just go with the flow till it's done, even if it's starting something new when I haven't finished the last one.

I'd love to finish each one before starting the next, but don't want to have to "force" myself to work on something when I dont feel like it.

mary quite contrary 07-31-2009 05:47 PM

It depends of the mood I am in. I have a feeling I'm with Kwhite. I don't have enough fingers & toes.

tlrnhi 07-31-2009 05:48 PM

Can I use someone else's fingers and toes to help me count?

dunster 07-31-2009 05:54 PM

I'm a finisher, not a starter, so I usually have one sewing machine project going, and one hand applique piece. The exception might be if I'm participating in a BOM, or a class. I find it a lot harder to start a new project than to finish the existing one. The result is I don't have a lot of UFO's, but then that could also be because I haven't been quilting that long.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-31-2009 06:11 PM

Um, seventeen? I'm only kidding, lol, well sort of. I've started close to 30 projects over the past year and a half, and I'd say I have 8 finished. I usually get distracted or too excited about a new project before I finish the current one, and I just can't wait to start it. They're WIPs because they're unfinished, but I can't tell you when I plan on finishing some of those.

I'd say I'm actively working on three projects at the moment.

pittsburgpam 07-31-2009 06:17 PM

I am pretty close to finishing up everything I have in the works. Trying to get 6 (maybe more) quilts ready for LAQ, still need borders on two of them. I have another one that needs the center applique finished so I can sew all the parts together. Another one needs the pillow area applique finished and then decide what to do all around it.

Not too many in the works really and they're all getting down to the finish line. I have SEVERAL planned and the fabric for and I am trying to keep myself from doing anything on them until I clear out these.

krabadan 07-31-2009 06:17 PM

I usually just do one at a time