Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many Feel sooooo Terrible after a quiltshow that: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-feel-sooooo-terrible-after-quiltshow-t202322.html)

ghostrider 10-06-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ProLongarmARTQUILTER (Post 5562711)
They'd Rather Not even look or think or want to ever Do another Thing much less a Quilted Thing. Ooooooo!!!!! I'd Rather Not!!!:thumbdown:

I'm confused. Are you saying that you, yourself, are one of those who leave quilt shows feeling discouraged, depressed, dejected and disheartened? If you quilt for others, surely your self-confidence is higher than that. Both your profile and screen name indicate that your occupation is quilting...are you perhaps in the wrong line of work?? Just curious why the question came up.

MadP 10-06-2012 04:55 AM

I do not ever expect to be as skilled as some people. I do it because I enjoy doing it and I try to make it fun rather than a job.

nanna-up-north 10-06-2012 05:02 AM

I'm so sorry that quilting shows are a downer for you..... do you go with a friend or by yourself? I usually have a friend to go with and the little shows around here have all kinds of quilts..... some extra nice, others just so-so. We love to chat about which ones we've tried and which ones we'd like to try. (I didn't think about the quilters hearing our chatter) But it is an outing for us and we always take a few pictures. Every person that quilts has some things that they aren't as proud of as other things..... we are all in a learning process. And, I know some very good quilters that still aren't happy because of some little flaw in their quilt. RELAX!! don't we do this because we enjoy it? No pressure!!

marymay 10-06-2012 05:08 AM

So sorry you feel this way. I love going to quilt shows. The quilts you see are all just wonderful. Ladies/Men do great work.

llweezie 10-06-2012 05:39 AM

I just went to the Des Moines Quilt Show yesterday!! It was awesome !! One thing that gets me everytime is how many different ideas people come up with, and their color choices. I for one get inspiration at these shows. I got home and was so happy looking at the new book and the (3) fat quarters I purchased. Those shows are overwhelming to say the least. But when I got up this morning I was a happy camper sitting down at my machine and sewing. There I am in my comfort zone..

gramquilter2 10-06-2012 05:40 AM

I am one who comes away inspired to keep improving and learning new skills. I enjoy the shows but really do not have the desire to enter any of my quilts/quiltlets, they leave my home as soon as they are finished. So I would have none to enter if I decided to do it!

carolynjo 10-06-2012 05:40 AM

I love going to quilt shows, too. Sometimes I am bothered that certain quilts are hung as works of art. I can remember several that I wondered why they had been selected. But others I loved, loved. Not that I would ever be able to create that beauty--even in 3 lifetimes! I go to be inspired, just like I buy magazines--I get to enjoy them over and over.

calicojoan 10-06-2012 05:44 AM

I come out wanting to buy a ton of stuff and start playing. I have learned that I get such a kick out of playing with new techniques and free motion quilting, that even if it looks like crap when I am done, the process was fun. The next time I do it, things improve. I really think there is a secret quilting fairy that makes things look better the next day, after all!!! :D

rosiewell 10-06-2012 06:04 AM

when I return from a quilt show (and I go to a lot of them) I am hot to trot, can't wait to get to the machine and quilt for hours, or start a new project I saw at the show ( I think that's why I have so many UFOs)

sewsew busy 10-06-2012 06:28 AM

I love looking at the quilts. They are all so beautiful. There are many here that enter quilts in shows that never think they will win and the do. When I look at all the beautiful quilts here on the board it is like a mini quilt show, just no ribbons. So keep quilting.