Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many projects do you work on simultaneously? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-projects-do-you-work-simultaneously-t315091.html)

SuzSLO 04-17-2021 05:27 AM

I’m almost always working on more than one. Definitely different strokes for different folks.

Often, I’m waiting for something for one quilt, so I work on another. Right now I have almost finished binding my Grassy Creek mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter. Now I’m working on a pieced and appliqué medallion quilt using a 20 year old UFO as the center (which Putting together while I waited for batting and backing fabric). Once the hand appliqué on that quilt is in process, I will machine quilt a UFO that I used as a leader/ender project while working on Grassy Creek (as soon as I get some basting spray and I will need binding fabric as well).

Then I plan to start Smokey Mountain Stars (for which I’ve already pulled fabric). That’s the plan at least. But when it comes to new projects, I’m often like a dog who sees a squirrel: chasing after whatever recently caught my eye.

quiltedsunshine 04-17-2021 05:28 AM

In Don Aslett's book, "Is There Life After Housework," he says the best way to get things done is to work on 3-5 things at a time. If you work on 1 project for a while, then get bored or frustrated with it, then move to the next one, then to the next, and keep going. Then you come back around to the first project and you're fresh and ready to tackle it. Then keep jumping around and things eventually get done.

That's how I do my quilt projects.

I have two quilts that are ready to be quilted.
One that just needs 5 more rows sewn on.
A denim quilt that's all cut out and has a few rows done.
A One Block Wonder and 60 degree border print table topper that I have fabric for.
A tumbler table runner that I designed and need to pull fabrics for.

They're all in different stages, so it keeps things interesting and fun.

mojo11 04-17-2021 07:24 AM

I usually have about 5 projects going at the same time. I don't want to get bored. :)

rvsfan 04-17-2021 09:55 AM

I'm with canoePam. I get frustrated and confused if I have more than one active project and if an emergency one pops up, I put the active one in the WIP bin, get right back to it once the emergency is completed. I also have a bin of planned projects which can consist of pattern, fabric and everything I need for the complete project, or sometimes only the pattern. And, I admit I have an UFO bin which I try to keep at no more than 3 or 4. I can't abide being frustrated and confused. One night at guild everyone had to tell how many UFOs they had. When one lady said 65, the room was stunned to silence.

juliasb 04-17-2021 10:01 AM

I usually have 2-3 projects going at one time. Right now however I have 12 quilt tops done and none of them finished. I have only completed 2 quilts during the pandemic. There will be more done soon.

Rff1010 04-18-2021 03:09 AM

I had 5 going at once and it gave me anxiety. 2 is perfect but apparently "squirrel-brain" is a real thing. Forcing myself to finish before next start. I have a few PIGS (projects in bags) and I'll need to decide what next. I want to do them AAAALLLLL!!

BonnieJP 04-18-2021 04:21 PM

I make it a rule to work on one project at a time - that means initial cutting to binding must be completed before starting a new project. The only exceptions are the charity children panels I do for local hospitals. These typically only require adding a border or doing the long arming and binding on them. I often have two of these charity projects in progress at the same time.

oksewglad 04-18-2021 04:28 PM

Bwahahaha, she laughs maniacally!

Actively working on 4 projects and getting ready to start 3 tshirt quilts...and don't forget the quilt I'm working on at the LQS. There I only work one at a time. I have several in various stages of completion.

l

Unicorn Quilts 04-18-2021 06:50 PM

I can work on up to two simultaneously. I was participating in two QALs with overlapping schedules. I was piecing one and cutting for another, then swapped out by keeping cut pieces and blocks for each on baking sheets. It got a little cumbersome since my workspace is so small.

Right now I've got three tops ready to baste, rolled up on pool noodles so they can stay crease-free. I've got at least four more completed tops, but they would need to be unfolded and pressed. There are several UFOs with most/all the blocks done, but they need to be assembled into tops. I don't like sewing and pressing top-length seams because it's so unwieldy, but I'm getting over that. I've got a design wall now and a new basting (pool noodle) method, so that's helping me to finish quilts. My mind and hands are excited to start something new, but I'd like to get one top quilted before I start pulling fabrics and patterns.

If I could get through my current stash of packaged batting, I'd feel pretty good! Three twins, five queens. I want to get to a place where I buy batting and backing as I need it. That way I'll have the opportunity to try new brands instead of what I impulse bought because I had a coupon or it was on clearance.

maryb119 04-19-2021 01:34 PM

I usually have several going at one time. I am piecing one in the afternoons and planning another one...most of the time. I'm always shopping about 7 quilts ahead of what I am working one. I always have one that I hand quilt in the evenings. It's a quiet activity and relaxing too.