Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many quilt on reg sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilt-reg-sewing-machine-t213688.html)

mimmy96 02-12-2013 03:28 PM

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

How many do not have a Long arm machine and just use their reg sewing machine to quilts? Or do a lot that just have a reg machine .. Machine sew the top, but then get them quilted somewhere else? I am getting ready to get a new machine, it will not be a long arm.... I am brand new to quilting and I am just wondering how all this works. I realize larger quilts may not be able to be quilted on a reg sewing machine.. But maybe I am wrong! :)

MaryMo 02-12-2013 03:37 PM

I sew on a regular sewing machine, one I've had for 20 years that still works perfectly. I have not quilted a large quilt but have made several smaller projects - mug rugs, placements, dog quilts. I am practicing to machine quilt a lap-sized quilt. Up until now I have either tied those or done a combination of hand quilting and tying. I've read on here of some who have done a regular sized quilt (twin ?) on their regular sewing machine. I'm not that confident yet.

Prism99 02-12-2013 03:37 PM

I quilted on my domestic machine before I got my midarm. My preference is definitely the midarm -- much faster for me, plus much easier for me to move the machine instead of the quilt.

You can quilt large quilts on a domestic machine by splitting up the batting. Basically you layer the sandwich as usual, but then remove one-third of the batting from each side so there is less bulk under the arm. Marti Mitchell has an entire book out on different methods for quilting large quilts on domestic sewing machines. (Be sure to get more details on how to do the method I described before tackling it; there are a few steps to doing it so that the batting goes back together accurately.)

A lot depends on finances. Beginning frame setups for quilting start around $2,000. This can be a good investment for someone who would otherwise be sending out a lot of quilts to a longarmer.

quiltingfan 02-12-2013 03:44 PM

I have quilted several queens on my domestic machine. I only do meander though and have not tried any fancy stuff.

woody 02-12-2013 03:44 PM

I quilted all my quilts on a regular little Brother sewing machine, (mostly lap or single bed size) took some squishing but definately doable. I have now got a Janome Horizon 7700 which has much more room, so it make it easier. I don't have a frame, if I need to do a large quilt, I put my sewing machine next to my dining table to help support the weight of the quilt. Well worth the time and effort to practice as I just couldn't afford to send my quilt to the longarmers.

Jo C 02-12-2013 03:45 PM

I only quilt on my sewing machine. Right now i'm quilting a king size...not splitting the batting. Its a workout, but it can be done. Once you get past the center 18 inches, it becomes easier.

Jo C 02-12-2013 03:50 PM

Ooops, one more thing. Just a preference, but i can't wrestle a quilt without using quilting gloves...or rubber tipped gardening gloves.

nativetexan 02-12-2013 03:52 PM

Some quilters do wonders on regular machines and even quilt King size. Now I will do King, but in sections. my machine doesn't have a large throat space and that would really help.

Tartan 02-12-2013 03:52 PM

I've quilted up to a twin on my Bernina 440 QE with my BSR. I am going to quilt my queen size Spiderweb quilt on it but I will do it in 2 sections and use batting tape for joining the 2 quilted halves.

quilts4charity 02-12-2013 03:52 PM

I quilt with a midarm on a frame now but did it for many years on my Juki and I never split the batting either...I worked from the middle out, been to some get togethers and still did it this way as you can't take the frame...LOL!!!!!