Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how many quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilt-t85240.html)

happyscrappy 12-27-2010 03:21 PM

i use my regular ol' sewing machine with a walking foot, or the free motion foot. it takes ALOT of practice, but it is fun to see your progress throughout the years. i love to hand quilt and i think machine quilting is way more difficult. practice, practice, practice.

Rabbit 12-27-2010 03:35 PM

I just got a longarm in June. Still learing how to use it. I enjoy the free motion. I haven't tried any set patterns as yet. It has the table to follow a patern and the laser, but I really like to just do my own thing. I have done 1 paying job so far. Quilted a fleece blanket for a friend. All others have been my projects and my sisters, I am getting her as addicted as I am to Jelly Rolls! Now that Christmas is over with, we can get busy working on our stash!
Rabbit

MaryAnna 12-27-2010 04:19 PM

I have a Bernina Activa 210, a great machine; however, the throat or keyhole area is soooo small that I can only quilt a lapsized quilt, anthing bigger goes to a longarmer. I sent off my first one last month and got it back in time for Christmas gift giving. I was very happy with Carol's work.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

k9dancer 12-27-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BayleeSue
I envy all of you. I have tried quilting on my regular machine but my quilting doesn't look smooth & even stitches. any advise?

Hi Baylee Sue,
At one time I thought I wanted a longarm machine. Then I found out they are nearly as expensive as a car, and take up that much room, too. and they ake a lot of time to set up, Soooo.....

I quilt everything on my home sewing machines. Although I have several, I mostly use a pair of vintage Singer Featherweights. They are used for piecing as well as free motion quilting, and yes, I did a king size on it. The trick is to use the right batting. I never use polyester; I prefer Warm & Natural or an 80/20 if W&N is not available.

The other secret is Practice. Most people need to practice about a hundred hours before they begin to feel somewhat proficient. I find that using the cheap gardening gloves with rubber dots while I quilt helps me to get traction. I also use spray basting and heavy thread basting to prep my sandwich before going to the machine. And I always do lots of samples before sewing my 'real' quilt.

Don't throw away those practice pieces. I use them for mug mats or work them into tote bags.

lue 12-27-2010 05:17 PM

I have a woman who has quilted all my quilts except the first one that I made for my granddaughter (I wanted to be able to say I did hers from start to finish). This woman is quite reasonable & does a beautiful job!

kwiltkrazy 12-27-2010 05:30 PM

I quilt all my quilts on my Janome 5500, done up to a large king. Getting better all the time. Love it.

k9dancer 12-27-2010 05:32 PM

Baylee Sue, I did not see your location. You might well find someone on the board who lives near you and will be glad to give an assist if requested. Most quilters love to share what they know, so feel free to ask questions.

jenOSU 12-27-2010 05:38 PM

I hand quilt all of mine using a large oval cross stitch holder. I have used my Viking Sew Easy 320 (about 14 years old!) with a walking foot if it's a straight in the ditch quilting. But I usually only do crib size quilts, nothing larger.

TN Donna 12-27-2010 05:42 PM

I quilt with my Brother.

Bev 12-27-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BayleeSue
how many quilt all of their quilts? I bought a Mega quilter several years ago, was never able to quilt with it, I got so frustrated with it, I sold it. Do most of you have long arm quilting machines or quilt with your regular machines?

I quilt the small stuff on my Janome Platinum 760.
But I hand quilt anything lap size and take over to my professional quilter's anything from twin size to queen size. Have never made a king size.

8-)