Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilted-prc-pre-rotary-cutter-t160706.html)

SunlitenSmiles 10-16-2011 03:11 AM

oh, and i used cardboard from the backs of sketch books and watercolor pads.....my cereal boxes were round

ptquilts 10-16-2011 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by GAgal
My first quilt was a grandma's fan. It was hand pieced and hand quilted. Unfortunately the quilting is still not finished. Anyone out there willing to finish it up for me? I made it in the late 1980's so it has been waiting a long time.

I do hand quilting for other quilters. PM me if interested.

I still have a large mark on top of the piano where DH was making a template, gluing sandpaper to a piece of cardboard, putting a weight on it, and it leaked through and stuck to the piano. We still have a whole bunch of templates.

juliasb 10-16-2011 03:24 AM

Let me put it this way, I attempted to learn how to do patchwork pre rotary cutter but was very unsuccessful. My hands were never steady at cutting and I had no one that could give me any advice. Reading instructions from a book made little sense to me. My oldest sister sent each of us younger girls a quilt top that she made. It was beautifully done and I wanted so badly to learn how she did it. Now I only wish I still had that top. Those were done pre rotary cutter.
I still have boxes of pieces that have been cut out and started for quilts that I have picked up along the way at a garage sale or estate sale.
I did make a couple "baby blankets" that some would call a quilt today but even back in the day I did not consider them to be 'quilts'. Right now I am grateful to the rotary cutter and acrylic rulers and self healing mats. They opened a new and fun world for me. Now I have a stash that will out live me and a sewing room that most would die for. Julia

mcar 10-16-2011 03:52 AM

I now marvel at the first quilt I made in the 70's. It was squares, cut from polyester clothing fabric that a friend gave me left from her sewing. How I cut squares straight by hand,or how the corners were able to meet I cannot remember to be able to tell you. Perhaps the textured fabric was not slippery. That was the end of quilt making until last year! The newer methods and beginner classes were a real aid to sky rocketing into the whole process. We had that quilt until this Fall when it went to our granddaughter for her fort building fun.

QuiltMom2 10-16-2011 04:02 AM

I tried to quilt PRC, but things got fun after I purchased the tools!

quilts4charity 10-16-2011 04:07 AM

I did, not a lot though. I sewed all my life but decided to quilt which I did not have a clue about, didn't do too bad either but it was a lot slower without all those wonderful gadgets!!!!

chiaraquilts 10-16-2011 04:21 AM

Made a few PRC quilts, a log cabin for my son, a queen size Irish Chain, and a lot of Amish inspired wallhangings. They were all handquilted too of course...I always had trouble cutting accurately, love my rotary cutter and my Accuquilt!

GG 10-16-2011 04:26 AM

i MADE ONE IN 1979AND THEN HAD TO STOP UNTIL KIDS STARTED SCHOOL IN 1989.

veryvirginia 10-16-2011 04:31 AM

I started quilting in the sixties and actually I loved cutting by hand. It was relaxing and we didn't have computers,etc., to distract us--so quilting was our entertainment. Yup, I'm old.

neenas 10-16-2011 04:33 AM

The first two full size quilts I made were Elanor Burns Log Cabin. I couldn't find 100% cotton so I couldn't tear the fabric. I used a yardstick to measure the 2 1/2" strips on the floor and cut with sissors.