Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilted-prc-pre-rotary-cutter-t160706.html)

grandma Janice 10-16-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I quilted for many years pre-rotary cutter. And even now, most of what I cut for art quilts and all of what I cut for cards is done with scissors. I find it relaxing actually, and more personal.

So do I enjoy cutting my pieces w/scissors. I have a alto II that changed my way of cutting a lot of strips & squares. But still get my pen & scissors out on most of my quilts.

ditto. I still do scissor cutting.

Annie68 10-16-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Back in the day before the rotary cutter , I figure lots of quilts got started but never got past the boring cutting with templates , a pencil, and sissors.
My first quilt seemed to take forever just to cut out.
How many here quilted before the rotary cutter? What quilts did you make using the old templates and sissors ?

I made many quilts before the rotary cutter came my way, using the cardboard template and scissors. I then hand quilted everything until the past few years when arthritis caused me to put up the hoop and all handquilting.

I do machine quilted now and I use all modern tools possible.

wolfkitty 10-16-2011 04:52 AM

My first quilt was a brick pattern that I measured, marked and cut with scissors. No template. Another PRC quilt was a GFG that I cut a fabric template for (the cardboard slipped too much.) I marked out the pieces and cut them out with scissors. I also hand stitched it. I plan to hand quilt it, but had to make a few practice pieces first, and then life interrupted for a few years, and so only recently have I gotten back into the quilting bug and plan to finish it. I also discovered rotary cutters in the meantime, but there is something peaceful about scissor cutting, just like hand quilting.

Grace MooreLinker 10-16-2011 05:03 AM

Quilts were around long before rotary cutters, I learned to quilt when most everything was by hand cutting and sewing. Most of the blocks were sewen together on the treddle sewing machine. but quilted by hand. Mom and the neighbor farm ladies had their quilting bees, changed homes each meeting. these ladies could finish hand quilting a quilt in one day. OH! how I remember them sitting aroound the quilting frame hands and mouths going 90miles a minute. The kids playing all around them.I use the rotary cutter faster and not as painful on my hands.

emerald46 10-16-2011 05:08 AM

Well remember those days!!! Found a box of cardboard templates during the move 2 years back and happily threw them away.

Mariposa 10-16-2011 05:17 AM

I did a few minis and doll quilts, several churn dashes, an all squares (6") quilt. Then came the rotary cutter! :)

logcabinfran 10-16-2011 05:21 AM

I made my first quilt when my twin sons were one, I actually enjoy cutting with sissors, I used a coloring book for the patterns & cut out firetrucks, dump trucks etc.That was 40+ years ago, yes I use the RC now (especially for the log cabin strips) but also have to admit to having 30+ pairs of sissors.

logcabinfran 10-16-2011 05:22 AM

I made my first quilt when my twin sons were one, I actually enjoy cutting with scissors, I used a coloring book for the patterns & cut out firetrucks, dump trucks etc.That was 40+ years ago, yes I use the RC now (especially for the log cabin strips) but also have to admit to having 30+ pairs of scissors.

joym 10-16-2011 05:25 AM

Oh boy, I was a pre rotary cutter. My first quilt was diamonds made from old clothes. I've still got a big bump on my finger from all the cutting (probably with dull sissors). The next few were simply squares, again with old clothes. My filling was old blankets or bedspreads. I remember that I could not find anyone who quilted and there were no magazines about quilting and I could not quilt them because I did not know how the knot was hidden and if you were suppose to use single strand or double strand of thread. Wish I had had a mentor. My, how times have changed.

logcabinfran 10-16-2011 05:27 AM

can't believe I spelled scissors wrong, senior moment I guess.