Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Are Self Taught? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-self-taught-t36177.html)

MadQuilter 02-07-2010 03:24 PM

I knew the basics of sewing but signed up for a sampler class. This taught me a lot about the basics and I learned quite a few techniques. Since then, I taught myself quite a few additional patterns from books or magazines. I still take the occasional class for the fun of it. My primary learning style is visual and it helps me to watch someone do the work.

Tiny 02-07-2010 04:05 PM

Self taught and been quilting for about 16 years. I stated out cleaning out my house after the kids all got married and found lots of cloths I didn't want to threw away just started cutting the cloths together by hand and quilted it all by hand I made it just for the bed but when my childern came home one day I heard them setting on the bed looking at all the memory of the past. That got me started

cr12cats 02-07-2010 10:47 PM

self taught except middle school sewing I got a D--
and told I couldn't sew. Mom did not sew And no one else I knew. I have made a few dresses, blouses and quilts and wallhanging all which are sewn. My friend that got good grades I found out were sneaking her work home for mom to do and can't do the littlest repair. I also can fix zippers.
To bad before the teacher could see that I finished my pants that summer to prove her wrong she passed away.

pittsburgpam 02-07-2010 11:10 PM

I am self-taught, never took a class. I learned by trial and error, books, patterns, and online.

Connie in Indiana 02-08-2010 01:53 AM

I never took any class just tv an pc Eleanor Burns,egg money quilts. shows on KET! I used to get up early 5am an have the vcr going! An then what I have learned in here with you all.
Connie in Indiana

Carol W 02-08-2010 03:03 PM

I'm self taught. I would like to take a class someday.

Lostn51 02-08-2010 08:28 PM

This ought to be funny here........

I am self taught BUT I have taught myself to do a lot of different things like painting cars, bodywork, so forth. I guess I have the knack to be able to look at something and figure out how it was made or done.

But with quilting it was the same thing but I was deathly SCARED to go to a fabric shop by myself, and I always had to take my wife with me. I never asked questions about how to do something I would just do the trial and error thing, once again SCARED to ask. After all I was a guy that like to quilt and was really fascinated by the patterns and designs.

But with the help of a few friends on the Needlebar and everyone here I have come out of my shell and I realized that guys quilt too. (Eddie is my hero :lol: )

And now when I go to a fabric shop I find that women tend to be very helpful and excited that a man would take an interest in a hobby that they like. :mrgreen:

Billy

hokieappmom 02-09-2010 05:49 AM

Self taught for quilting. I learned to sew my senior year in home ec, but it was clothing only. I feel lucky that sewing comes naturally to me, but not quilting. Still learning, especially a lot from this great board!

Teresa 54 02-09-2010 05:49 AM

My grandparents taught me to applique and piece when I was 12,I finished the quilt when I was 15. I quilted on my own till I was in my 30's and joined a quilt guild, through this group I took classes and met many published quilters, learned a tramendous amount. 1985 I met Harriet Hargrave- her class was phanominal, She was the pivoiting point in my career, I am now a professional quilter and teacher - besides my day job. I still take classes at trade shows, they are expensive, but I save for them, and they are worth it. AQS in Lancaster PA this spring I am signed up for (3) days with Karen Stone, an old friend - looking forward to a hoot!

mary705 02-09-2010 06:07 AM

I'm self taught, but did sew clothing back when I was younger.