Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Are Self Taught? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-self-taught-t36177.html)

Bill'sBonBon 02-06-2010 03:25 PM

Self Taught, been sewing all my life,always loved quilts but didn't know I could do them until 2004. Looked at mags. bought books did trial and error, sew and rip :lol: Never had a class would like to one day.
BillsBonBon

Carm 02-06-2010 03:27 PM

I am self taught as well. When I started sewing and quilting I don't think there were many, if any, classes near my rural area. And anyways, I didn't have the extra money to spend on classes. I bought a book on quilting and questioned anyone in my family who had ever quilted or helped to quilt. My great-grandmother( who was deceased at that time), my grandmother, aunt and my husbands grandmother gave me some tips on putting a quilt in to a frame and knotting the thread and snapping in to the batting and that's about it. I watched the few sewing shows, two shows I think at that time. I made my first quilt in 1986! I, too, could take a class now if I wanted to but I would rather buy the fabric and a quilting book and figure it out on my own!

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I mean you NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books and television.

The reason I never took a class is because when I started out, I did not know they had them. By the time I realized it, I pretty much knew my way around the sewing machine. I still could take one, but now I would rather spend the $$ on more fabric. ;)

mimisharon 02-06-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
Self taught

me too

pocoellie 02-06-2010 03:33 PM

Never took a class or lesson. In high school, I wouldn't have been caught dead in any type of "home ec" class. LOL

mcdaniel023 02-06-2010 03:38 PM

Self taught except what I learned from El Burns, Kaye Woods and Simply Quilts. That was a lot of learning. They used to be on all day.

Ditter43 02-06-2010 03:50 PM

Self taught...didn't even take home ec in hs. First learned to sew when my first child was born almost 50 years ago. Learned to hand sew first till I could afford a sewing machine. I remember my first sewing machine was a "new home." Many, many years ago!!

Ditter

jimrdeb 02-06-2010 03:58 PM

I am self taught also. Read books and watched videos online.
Still today alot of trial and error!

Bottle Blonde 02-06-2010 04:00 PM

Self-taught. I worked a full-time job and had 4 kids - no time for classes.

chris_quilts 02-06-2010 04:09 PM

Self taught altho I had home-ec in 7th and 8th grade. Hated the sewing part and loved the cooking. Wish now I had had paid more attention during the sewing semesters but I do read books, look on the Internet and this board of course. I'd like to take a class but don't know what in what area I'd take one.

barnbum 02-06-2010 04:14 PM

Self taught. I used to read the quilting books I couldn't afford--at the fabric store, try to remember what I read, then run home to try it. I don't think I could sit through a class.