Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Are Self Taught? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-self-taught-t36177.html)

Miss Kitty 02-06-2010 08:02 PM

Mostly self- taught. I started sewing in the 4th grade.(4-H).
My mother was one of the leaders. Both of my grandmothers sewed and quilted. Mostly I have sewed clothes and things for
the house. I'm a hands on person. I have always love to sew.
Mistakes, I have made every one of them as least once, if not several times. I will probably make a lot more mistakes. I always have to try something a different way.

weezie 02-06-2010 08:03 PM

Learned from books and t.v. shows. When I first became interested in making quilts and for several years thereafter, there were a lot of good quilt shows on t.v. and I'm grateful for that. It's a shame the shows have gotten scarce or disappeared altogether.

Justok 02-06-2010 08:37 PM

self taught, but I joined a class a couple of weeks ago and I didn't learn anything new,but I did meet some nice gals and the verbal exchange is a lesson in its self. I am in the middle of another class on color. I was confused at first and thought about not going back, but once I got home and worked on the project I found that is what's missing in my quilting, The new scary stuff you can learn. It has made quilting new and interesting.

Loretta 02-06-2010 09:08 PM

Never took a class except at my guild and they are only about 10 minutes.

WalMartGranny 02-06-2010 09:22 PM

Self taught.So if I make a mistake, I blame it on my teacher.

Katrine 02-06-2010 10:12 PM

Completely self-taught with books, and internet. I only started 5 years ago, wish I had done it lots earlier.

tigger5464 02-06-2010 10:52 PM

Mom taught me the basics of sewing when I was probably about 10 yrs. In school I elected NOT to take the "home ec" class because it was mostly cooking and I already knew how to do that since 9 yrs of age and cooking for 6 daily. I taught myself to sew by making the boys' halloween costumes and then on to quillows. From there....no stopping until work and life got in the way. But back to quilting now. :D Self taught as far as the quilting goes...the basics of the machine I can thank my wonderful Mom :D

amma 02-06-2010 11:31 PM

Self taught... I watched Alex Anderson, Eleanor Burns, Kaye Woods, Fons and Porter, Georgia Bonesteel and every internet video I can find and all of the quilting books at the library :D:D:D THEN I found this board :D:D:D
I am planning on taking a few classes at the LQS, but they are not actual quilt classes...painting with inks, etc to play with the quilt blocks I would love to make :wink:

jbud2 02-07-2010 12:22 AM

Self taught. Seemed I always sewed, from when I was I big enough to make the treadle go! My grandmother could do some real fancy stitching with a needle and she was always giving me fabric to 'play' with. From doll clothes to my clothes, to my kid's clothes and now to quilting! Books and the internet have held my hand along the way.

Crafty1 02-07-2010 04:47 AM

Self taught. I ventured to the library, internet and this board!