Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many yards fit in flat rate box? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-yards-fit-flat-rate-box-t69538.html)

katied772 10-11-2010 07:17 AM

Anyone have an idea how many yards fit into the large and med. flat rate boxes (stuffed full)?

erstan947 10-11-2010 08:09 AM

Go the PO and get a box and fill it. There is no cost for the box. The price of the box is included in the price of the mailing.

You can go to USPS.com and order boxes.

bearisgray 10-11-2010 08:15 AM

Also depends on how tightly you pack the material.

I've managed to get over 40 yards of halloween fabric in a large flat rate box - but I had help holding it while taping it. And refolded the fabrics a couple of times to maximize the space.

I've noticed that different sellers seem to have had different ideas of what "packed full" meant to them.

np3 10-11-2010 08:20 AM

There is also a difference in the weight of fabric. These boxes hold a lot of fabric. Four yards of cotton is around a pound of fabric, again depending on the quality/thickness. Twenty yards fits in the medium flat rate if packed loosely. Twenty-five or so if you go really packed.

Rebecca VLQ 10-11-2010 09:13 AM

Like they said, it depends. I find when I have to ship a lot If I lay a few yards open (together) and then fold them, I can get a more compact packet. Like, if you had 20 yards and took 4 yds at a time and folded them, there'd be less "empty" space than if you folded them all together.

ckcowl 10-11-2010 10:10 AM

according to my favorite on line shop they can get 5 yards into a medium flat rate box and 9 into a large...unless it's flannal, then only 5 into a large and 2-3 into a medium

bearisgray 10-11-2010 10:14 AM

I put 14 yards of Halloween fabric in a medium FR1 box - with room to spare

np3 10-11-2010 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ckcowl
according to my favorite on line shop they can get 5 yards into a medium flat rate box and 9 into a large...unless it's flannal, then only 5 into a large and 2-3 into a medium

Absolutely not accurate. That may be the way they charge, but a lot more than that fits.

Here is a pile from my stash. Eleven yards I just received from an online shop. It does not even come close to filling the Medium box.

bearisgray 10-11-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Originally Posted by ckcowl

Absolutely not accurate. That may be the way they charge, but a lot more than that fits.

Here is a pile from my stash. Eleven yards I just received from an online shop. It does not even come close to filling the Medium box.

Thanks for the pictures - :thumbup:

quiltingbee12 10-11-2010 10:46 AM

Good info = thanks!