Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How many yards fit in flat rate box?

Anyone have an idea how many yards fit into the large and med. flat rate boxes (stuffed full)?

Blog Entries
    Go the PO and get a box and fill it. There is no cost for the box. The price of the box is included in the price of the mailing.

You can go to USPS.com and order boxes.

Power Poster
    Also depends on how tightly you pack the material.

I've managed to get over 40 yards of halloween fabric in a large flat rate box - but I had help holding it while taping it. And refolded the fabrics a couple of times to maximize the space.

I've noticed that different sellers seem to have had different ideas of what "packed full" meant to them.

np3
    Blog Entries
    There is also a difference in the weight of fabric. These boxes hold a lot of fabric. Four yards of cotton is around a pound of fabric, again depending on the quality/thickness. Twenty yards fits in the medium flat rate if packed loosely. Twenty-five or so if you go really packed.

Like they said, it depends. I find when I have to ship a lot If I lay a few yards open (together) and then fold them, I can get a more compact packet. Like, if you had 20 yards and took 4 yds at a time and folded them, there'd be less "empty" space than if you folded them all together.

Blog Entries
    according to my favorite on line shop they can get 5 yards into a medium flat rate box and 9 into a large...unless it's flannal, then only 5 into a large and 2-3 into a medium

Power Poster
    I put 14 yards of Halloween fabric in a medium FR1 box - with room to spare

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    according to my favorite on line shop they can get 5 yards into a medium flat rate box and 9 into a large...unless it's flannal, then only 5 into a large and 2-3 into a medium
    Absolutely not accurate. That may be the way they charge, but a lot more than that fits.

Here is a pile from my stash. Eleven yards I just received from an online shop. It does not even come close to filling the Medium box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    Absolutely not accurate. That may be the way they charge, but a lot more than that fits.

Here is a pile from my stash. Eleven yards I just received from an online shop. It does not even come close to filling the Medium box.
    Thanks for the pictures - :thumbup:

Good info = thanks!

No matter how many yards you put in the box, I recommend a plastic bag or wrap in plastic to protect the fabric if the box is punctured. I am a retired letter carrier, and have seen this on occation. A few months ago I recieved a box of fabric and the box was punctured in the side. I was relieved that it had been placed in a plastic bag first. No damage.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT
    No matter how many yards you put in the box, I recommend a plastic bag or wrap in plastic to protect the fabric if the box is punctured. I am a retired letter carrier, and have seen this on occation. A few months ago I recieved a box of fabric and the box was punctured in the side. I was relieved that it had been placed in a plastic bag first. No damage.
    Good point. I always use a bag in the flat rate envelopes because of that.

Banned
    also put in plastic bags before loading as you can squeeze out a lot of air before loading into the box.

Dee
    Great tip. Thanks for sharing.