Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-find-quilting-therapeutic-outlet-t35698.html)

Maride 02-01-2010 09:50 AM

Ido think that is relaxing and therapy, but sometimes, specialy when I am quilting a vary large area with a small design that I can do with my eyes closed, I find myself with time on my hands to think. sometimes I end up worrying about things I didn't have time to worry about before and other times I am able to think of solutions to my problems. I guess is time to go to the sewing room.

Maria

quiltswithdogs 02-01-2010 09:55 AM

Absolutely! Not only is it fun and greatly satisfying with having made special gifts, but it is so mind encompassing that I can let go of my problems for awhile.

I am chronically ill, unable to work past 2yrs which contributed to us now losing our home, so I'm talking pretty big problems. I know there are worse ones... I'm blessed with a delightfully wonderful family I talk on phone with daily.

Quilting and my funny, active, cuddly puppy and my old, busy little bird and phone conversations with family so I can laugh with others are my at-home happy get-away distractions. Those are my best therapeutic solutions for my heart and soul; they are keeping me sane and in good spirits.

samroberts01 02-01-2010 10:27 AM

Tottally agree, you can just stop thinking about everything else going on in life and concentrate on the creativity of making something!

jewelps 02-01-2010 10:31 AM

sewing is about the stress reliever that i have, i love to sew, i make just about anything, the wondering of what i am going to make next helps me and knowing that i have made something that makes someone else happy(family)makes me happy

dkabasketlady 02-01-2010 10:52 AM

I'm on disability and it's so relaxing to me when I'm having a bad day. If I can't sew just a little each day I get stressed out. I'm able to handle the rest of my day after being in my sewing room playing with my stash.

littlehud 02-01-2010 11:29 AM

It is my therapy. I feel much better after I have had some time for quilting.

hulahoop1 02-01-2010 11:54 AM

Sewing has always been my "therapy." It's my way of escaping the day-to-day problems and issues for awhile and keeps my hands busy. I like the sense of accomplishment when I've completed a project to the best of my ability.

Quiltsbybarb 02-01-2010 12:01 PM

I do quilting for a living and I still think it is great therapy. If I can't get to sleep at night, I dream up a quilt in my sleep. It is the best way to come up with creative ideas!

Barb

laadw 02-01-2010 08:54 PM

If I don't get quilting time in I get very frustrated. I think about it all the time. It is the last thing I think about before I go to sleep. It has taught me so much patience. I didn't quilt for 4 years; from the time my twin boys were born until they turned 4. Once I started up again I realized how much I had been missing. I finally feel like my creative side is being fullfilled. I ordered fabric today and I am so excited. I can't wait to figure out what I am going to make.

GMA 02-01-2010 09:02 PM

sewing is what I do to relax and enjoy. I like to quilt to keep my brain stimulated and challenged.