Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you quilt your own quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilt-your-own-quilts-t186672.html)

appliquequiltdesigns 04-21-2012 01:11 PM

I hand quilt all my own quilts. I thought of having one sent out, but didn't want to spend the money

debbieoh 04-21-2012 01:54 PM

I TRY and quilt my own. I'm sucky quilting so to be honest all I've ever done is quilt in the ditch. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at free motion. But so far too chicken. I did send 2 quilts out to be quilted and love them. Got a really good deal on ebay to have them done,otherwards I would have done them myself

Juliebelle 04-21-2012 02:00 PM

I always do my own, I have not tried a king size yet, but everything else I can do

mdall 04-21-2012 02:12 PM

I too do them myself. First, I tied, then stitch in the ditch, and am now working and just about finished first fmq. It takes practice but is so worth it.

Lynnie25 04-21-2012 02:20 PM

Can I ask how much it costs to send a quilt out to a LAQ in the US - say a single bed size / double bed size and for just a simple quilting design all over.

Rowena101 04-21-2012 03:39 PM

I go to a ladies house, she charges $10.00 per hour & I do it myself. She helps me get started. She was an adult ed. quilt teacher,very patient & nice. I have done 3 king sz. ones on her machine so far.One free hand design & the other two with a pattern. They have come out nice. Two took me 3 hrs. $45.00 & the last one took me 4hrs & she charged me $50.00. I really feel very gratefull for this service. Otherwise I stitch in the ditch for any smaller ones. Maybe there is a service like this near you, check it out. Rowena101

Marycumi 04-21-2012 05:37 PM

I haven't been quilting for very long, but I have always machine quilted my own quilts. Hubby gave me a Bailey Quilter for Christmas so I can quilt larger quilts now. I don't have a frame, I use a sit down set up. I don't have the room for a frame. :D

judykay 04-21-2012 05:48 PM

I have only sent one out to be quilted on a long arm and the rest I do my own hand quilting on. I find it very relaxing and rewarding but sometimes I find I am to impatient and want it finished now but I persevere & eventually it gets finished or if I get bored with it I put it aside and work on something else. I find I feel very rewarded when I get one finished.

Judy Brown 04-21-2012 06:08 PM

I have never sent to a longarm quilter, mainly because Mom always quilts by hand, and I like to follow traditions. My daughter also does hers by hand

chuckbere15 04-21-2012 08:25 PM

I have always quilted my own. Although, I'm no expert and haven't done extensive designs. I also like the feeling that I did it all. My mom has a long arm so I do get to have fun on that, but I have only done two on the long arm. The rest I have done on my domestic and it does give my arms a work out and I need that.