Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you quilt your own quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilt-your-own-quilts-t186672.html)

ktmo815 04-22-2012 01:13 AM

I hand quilt all mine

Quilting Angel 04-22-2012 01:21 AM

I always quilt my own quilts on my domestic machine. I've done from wall hangings up to king size.

SandySews 04-22-2012 03:14 AM

I always quilt my own quilts... I like to look a totally completed quilt and know that I did every stitch on it. All but one quilt has been done by machine. After quilting in the ditch with my Bernina 153 I decided to buy a Bernina 440 which has the Stitch Regulator on it and I love using it as well. Sometimes it's a little hard, but with practice I've learned to handle a queen size pretty well on it. I did hand quilt one and decided it takes too long.

katydidkg 04-22-2012 03:43 AM

I FMQ my own on a Bernina with the BSR ( Bernina Stitch Regulator ), I think it has a 7 1/2" throat. One quilt was way too big and I tied it. By the time I spend money on the quilt fabrics, batting and backing, sending it out to be quilted is way too much for my purse. However, several from my quilt gathering do send theirs out to be quilted, I just happen to love the whole quiltmaking process.

bigsister63 04-22-2012 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by hockeymom444 (Post 5158154)
I think that quilting my own tops is my favorite part of the whole quilting process! I just love it and hope to one day have my own long arm to make it even more fun!!

where is Bloomfield, New York. I live in NE Ohio and would be happy to bring some of my tops to you to practice on!!!!!

bigsister63 04-22-2012 06:03 AM

I quilt my on tops due to I can not afford to send them out. I knew that quilting was not a cheap hobby when I started so I would rather spend my money on fabric then the quilting.

lubberfarmgirl 04-22-2012 06:06 AM

I used to hand quilt, but I stopped because my fingers fall asleep. I do free motion or quilt in the ditch on small quilts and send twins and larger to a LAQ. Someday I'd like to have my own LA. Not sure where I'd put one .

dixie_fried 04-22-2012 06:33 AM

There are a variety of reasons I quilt my own quilts:
1. I don't know anyone who quilts, let alone a LAQ'er. Don't belong to a guild of any kind, so no connections.
2. I'm sort of a control freak. I want absolute design control over my work. I do mostly original designs, so the quilting needs to accentuate that.
3. I should think the money I'd spend hiring the work out would allow me to buy lots more fabric and dye supplies.
4. I would be too embarassed at how wonky my tops sometimes come out to hand it to someone else! Seriously...I have to do some creative "squaring" sometimes. I think a LAQ'er would be horrified at the prospect of making my work look square(ish).
5. The feeling of accomplishment when I get my quilting and binding done--it's so rewarding! Knowing I made every stitch in the quilt is priceless to me.

I do all my sewing on an older Singer 9910 and a REALLY old 201-2.

klgls 04-22-2012 07:22 AM

I've always quilted my own. Started out just doing straight line stitching on my home machine. Then got a new bigger machine (Janome 6600) and started doing FMQ. Now I have a frame and mid-arm quilter. Hoping some day to get a LAQ.

darlin1942 04-22-2012 07:29 AM

I do all hand quilting. I only have a small apt. but I do have a quilting frame. I think it is enjoyable until I get the cramp and then tv time.