Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of your husbands join in on your hobbies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-your-husbands-join-your-hobbies-t220795.html)

My time 05-07-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mimmy96 (Post 6046432)
I must say he never steps foot into my craft studio or anything like that! ... He just sits in his recliner sometimes and cross stitches.. now he does not "finish" any project.. once it's cross stitched, it will sit unless I do something with it. .. I guess he just likes to do stitching! This is something that just started... and I like it! Oh course he has a lot of hobbies he does himself.. and I have my own.. but I think this is neat for a change!!! :)

Gee sounds like you have a future hand quilter in your midst. I start him on a small project and see if he likes it, since he seems to enjoy stitching.

julie 05-07-2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 (Post 6046399)
My husband watches from afar and offers words of praise when appropriate. I prefer him to have his own persuits.

same for me.

Iraxy 05-07-2013 03:17 PM

My DH does the best aiding and abetting on the planet. He gardened and ran cattle for years. I cooked whatever he brought in from the garden or the farm (nothing funky though.) He also had a full time job. I too had a full time job plus kids plus house and spouse care. When we retired, we were both whipped so now he piddles in the garden and I doodle around in my sewing room. I aid and abet him with his gardening gizmos and he does the same for me with my fabric and "stuff." So glad I met him, we are a pair!

moonrise 05-07-2013 03:21 PM

How many of your husbands join in on your hobbies?
Three of my husbands enjoy helping with my craft projects. The other five don't.

:D :p ;) :D Sorry, I couldn't resist!

My ONE husband (he he) is interested in how quilts are made, and even helps me load the quilt frame, but as far as doing any sewing himself ... nah. :)

mimmy96 05-07-2013 06:51 PM

Lol moonrise!!! :)

milikaa1 05-07-2013 08:45 PM

My husband helps with the layout of a quilt and with colors, he also tells me how nice they are ;).

Mama Dyson 05-19-2013 10:20 PM

After 34 years of marriage my husband has recently become my partner in quilting. For years he has chuckled at my fabric addiction and admired my finished quilts. He always encouraged me to purchase a long arm machine and now that we own one, I piece the quilt tops and he quilts them. He does a beautiful job and I am happy that we are both finding joy in the same hobby.

azure68 05-19-2013 11:21 PM

I knit, crochet, handspin yarn, and started to each myself how to sew last year. My husband has always been very supportive with my crafts. His mother is a talented sewist, so he knows that having the right machine is important. I'm up to 5 sewing machines now. He actually found and bought 4 of them for me. He did research on the Juki F600 and Singer Featherweights (221 & 222), which I end up buying. I was all set on buying the Janome Horizon 7700 at the dealer, when he convinced me to try the Bernina 830 that just came in for a trade in. We ended up getting that one. Now he thinks I need an embroidery machine and is researching on one for me. He doesn't sew, but he likes to find and research machines. He will also offer his opinion on my projects whenever I ask him and he gives me all the encouragement I need. He would always tell me that there's a certain machine I need before I even realize it. I think I block it out mainly because I feel bad about spending money on myself. I am very blessed to have his support. Eventhough attending quilt shows isn't his thing, he would come with me and admire and appreciate the hardwork and talent that goes into the quilts that are displayed. :)

ILoveToQuilt 05-20-2013 03:27 AM

My DH helps with the math sometimes involved with quilting and "fixing" problems with my machines. Sometimes he helps choose fabric. My daughter sometimes helps with colors, choosing patterns or fabrics. Other than this, I am "alone" in my wonderful hobby.

Husband and I do share a hobby together, though. We are both avid metal detectorists (treasure hunters). We are out hunting at every opportunity together. I quilt during the day when my husband is at work. We treasure hunt together evenings and weekends.

Anita

sewmom 05-20-2013 05:09 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again- if my Dh joined me in quilting, I'd have to find a new hobby! He would probably be better than me and I would have to quit!!! On the other hand- when he gets into something, he tends to go "whole hog". A long arm could be the result. :).