Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to mitered corners on border of strips on my Marimekka quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-mitered-corners-border-strips-my-marimekka-quilt-t280578.html)

Janan 07-19-2016 08:59 AM

How to mitered corners on border of strips on my Marimekka quilt

2 Attachment(s)
I want the corners of the border on my quilt to look like the picture below.

Do I follow the usual instructions for a mitered corner on a border? Or is there a better way to make the strips match. The strips are 2 inches wide and the quilt top is 80x80 inches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554270[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 07-19-2016 09:52 AM

I am working on a quilt right now with strips as the outside border. I take extra strips and make them in HST and sew them in the direct so the border looks like it is mitered. Real simple if you understand the basic concept.

sushi 07-19-2016 01:16 PM

I agree with ManiacQuilter2: Sew the corners as separate "blocks". Then insert them in the regular borders.

oksewglad 07-19-2016 01:20 PM

Definitely a good idea to HST the strips says the lady who just mitred corners of a 9 1/2" striped fabric today......

Janan 07-19-2016 01:32 PM

ManiacQuilter2, I wish you could see my face as I read your post. I don't know what "HST" is and I don't know what you mean to "sew them in the direct", so when you said it is "real simple if you understand the basic concept", I couldn't help but laugh. I need a "quilting for dummies" version of your post.

Do you think you could snap a couple of pictures and put together a little tutorial? Or are there tutorials on youtube I could see?

Thanks! I can't wait until I understand the quilting lingo! lol

Janan

Janan 07-19-2016 01:36 PM

I just Googled how to HST my strips and actually found something! Lo and Behold! :D

Janan 07-19-2016 02:37 PM

I think I understand what you all are saying. thanks sushi for making it even more clear by explaining the corners will actually be separate blocks that will look like corners. I still don't know what sewing in the direct means, but I will study some tutorials on HST and stare at my sample picture of what I want it to look like and eventually figure it out. After all, that is how I've done the entire quilt! Staring at my inspiration quilt until an order begins to form in my head.

I've done everything backwards. Making a quilt before I've read a book or magazine with tips and tricks on quilts. lol

Just Jan 07-19-2016 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7605725)
I am working on a quilt right now with strips as the outside border. I take extra strips and make them in HST and sew them in the direct so the border looks like it is mitered. Real simple if you understand the basic concept.

WOW Thanks! I would never have thought of that. I sometimes use squares/blocks at my border corners, especially if I'm short on border fabric, but never thought about using HST. Guess I just couldn't see the forest for the trees. Now the light bulb has come on! You just made my day.

Maggie_Sue 07-20-2016 09:59 AM

I also never thought about HST!!! Next piano key boarder will give that a go!!! Thank you!! !

linda8450 07-20-2016 10:24 AM

Sewing in the direct....If I am understanding, attach the HST corners to a strip of striped fabric that is going in the proper direction (sides horizontal, top and bottom vertical) and just measure to fit. Good tip for the mitered corners using HST! I just finished a floral striped border, I sort of wing it, fold it back, crease it and stitch it best I can. HST would certainly work!