Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much to charge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-charge-t289612.html)

Kani 07-12-2017 12:37 PM

How much to charge?

I have someone who wants me to make them a lap quilt top (Yellow Brick Road pattern.55x63). I have no idea what to charge her for the top. I don't normally make tops to sell. Anyone have any idea what sounds fair? Thanks in advance.

Please delete if not allowed.

Garden Gnome 07-12-2017 12:50 PM

Is she only wanting you to piece the top, or make the whole quilt? And is she providing the fabric?

pocoellie 07-12-2017 01:01 PM

According to what I've read is 3 times the amount of supplies, which I think is hard to do, but whatever you decide to charge, get a deposit of 50%.

gingerd 07-12-2017 01:12 PM

Take her shopping to get the fabric for the top/back and the batting, then, figure out a price!

meyert 07-12-2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by gingerd (Post 7862702)
Take her shopping to get the fabric for the top/back and the batting, then, figure out a price!

this is a good way to go about it. then they see first hand the expense and if they buy things they are making a commitment in the project

toverly 07-12-2017 02:24 PM

Before you say yes, add up a heavy estimate for your time, materials, and other items. You can find out real quick if she expects a quilt for $50. I avoid a all costs being paid for a quilt. I prefer to give them to family and friends. Only Quilters know what truly goes into a quilt.

nativetexan 07-12-2017 03:32 PM

I bought some lovely fabric and showed my fellow co-worker. made the sun bonnet sue quilt and only asked $50.00. didn't cover all the fabric even. she turned the quilt down. sigh. Another co-worker bought it later though. so it will cost most likely more than she is thinking. for some reason, people think because you can make it, it's dirt cheap.

lynnie 07-12-2017 03:41 PM

Kani, as some said, take them shopping for the fabrics. then you'll see how they will pay. Do not use coupons if she is with you. she Must see the cost it will cost. otherwise, she'll think she needs to get a deal all around. good luck.

bearisgray 07-12-2017 03:42 PM

I think I would get more info before committing to making this - - -

Cost of the pattern -

Just the top?
Or a finished quilt?

You provide the materials?
She provides the materials?

You do the quiliting?
Send it out?

I think even some quilters are "shocked" when they actually figure out how much it costs to make a quilt - without even including the time and thought involved in creating one.

Remember to include
Consult time - contract writing time
Fabric shopping time - and batting - and thread
Fabric prep time
Cutting and assembly time
All sewing time
Washing after completion time

Also remember to include the "depreciation" of your tools

If the person is "shopping from the stash" - figure "replacement cost" for the fabrics used.

Boston1954 07-12-2017 04:34 PM

Keep track of how many hours it takes you, and charge a fair price for your time.