Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Spend on Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-spend-fabric-t89177.html)

quilter68 01-11-2011 04:53 AM

I buy project specific fabrics and always have extra. Sometimes I buy what I cannot resist. Right now I am waiting for one yard from a shop in Nevada for a special quilt. It has taken me a year to find all the fabrics for the Wine and Roses quilt for my DIL. Floral vignettes from Fabri-quilt is where I got the pattern. I will be working on this for awhile.
I am also working on a Drunkards Path for my married grandson. Orange and blue. To get the curve right I have to hand stitch and then machine stitch.
I have to stop before this becomes a book!
Happy Sewing!

ksea 01-11-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Just curious but about how much do you spend on fabric per month? I'm just starting to build my stash and realize I haven't been aggressive enough as I only spend an average of $30-40 per month. Judging from some of the pictures, I'm waaay behind.

On the average $100-200 per month sometimes more but not usually any less

JuneD 01-11-2011 05:39 AM

I am not going to put 'in writing' what I spend on fabric in a month!!!! DH might find this place and then where would I be???? BUT!!!!! I have been spending more on patterns than on fabrics lately.

reginalovesfabric 01-11-2011 05:45 AM

I don't want to know

jad1044 01-11-2011 05:57 AM

I don't count on $ spent - I buy what I like when I find it and it sometimes is one piece of fabric, and other times it is a few bags full by the time I get done. Plus the sales help in making decisions also

Roxanne 01-11-2011 06:03 AM

When I started quilting in 2004 it was with the intention of generating income for my retirement years (coming up in 11 years) I always planned to make a quilt for each of my brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews and grands if they made an entrance into the world.

In 2006 I became ill and everything changed. My goal at that time was to finish all the family member quilts. I finished the last one at Christmas and am in the process of quilting it now.

Not to bring anyone down this morning, but I am terminally ill. My stash is something that I don't want to leave behind for DH to have to deal with. I am going to work to use what I can making quilts for kids, the chicken swap quilt which I will give to my brother in law and one more big quilt for my husband.
No new purchases for me. I figure I have enough fabric to complete every pattern I now have in my possession. The colors may be a challenge, but I will make them work. If I'm lucky, I'll have bow tucks bags for Christmas gifts this year! If not, everything will be packed up and ready to donate to quilts for kids.
Roxanne

learner 01-11-2011 06:13 AM

My weakness is quilting books. Always looking for a bargain. Oh, and knitting books, too.

Chickerson 01-11-2011 06:15 AM

too much! shhh don't tell my husband though. It's hiding.

ladyelaine 01-11-2011 06:31 AM

I spend too much but it's sporadic, probably several hundred dollars a year. I never let money be an object because I don't make that many quilts so I want what I want!

Ann S. 01-11-2011 07:29 AM

I wouldn't rate my fabric buying in comparison to anyone. It is set by my personal needs and wants. I may go some months without buying anything. It depends on my tasks at hand, what the sales are (especially Connecting Threads and JoAnns), and if I have coupons. Sometimes I will buy a whole bolt for backing if I have a good coupon. Sometimes I buy fat sets or jelly rolls on ebay. It all depends on the bargains. It is a rare day that I pay full price on any fabric.