Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Spend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-spend-t48688.html)

Delbra 06-10-2010 01:12 PM

Usually about $70-120 for the top. I soon found out that quilting was not a inexpensive hobby as I thought.

May in Jersey 06-10-2010 01:44 PM

Working on a D9P right now for DGD who is graduating high school. Top price for it with backing and batting would be at least 100 -125 bucks but I usually by my fabrics on sale locally and in Lancaster where the prices are really low so it actually is costing me about 50 dollars. That's pretty good for the size, approximatley 60 x 75, and all top quality fabrics. Could kick myself for not getting more yardage of a great 56" wide fabric at 1.99 per yard. Great backing for my kid's or charity quilts which usually are about 40 - 45 x 60 - 65.

I make a lot of scrappy quilts as gifts and as charity quilts.
I'm chair of my guild's Project Pillowcaes and I usually get the leftover pieces when we cut the cases. Only problem I have is having enough fabric for background for my scrappy quilts. I plan to get some good muslin at Joann's at 50% off, I wash it first to make sure it doesn't shrink when quilt is washed. When in the Lancaster area whites, creams and lights are always on my list to fabrics I need.

I have on occassion spent big bucks to make a special quilt for a special family member or friend. May in Jersey

shopella 06-10-2010 01:53 PM

I have alot of friends swap scraps with me and mom has bins to the celing I usualy only have to pick up a few coordinating colors and batting I always seem to be out! I would say I go to the store and cruze the clearance and I average 10.00 to 20.00 a month depending on if I have to buy batting or not and if I have a 40% off or 50% off cupon.I tend to pick up fabrics I might need for the next progect before I have the next progect.Fabric swaps are great ways to cut costs. like if you have a fat quarter left from an old progect and it is just colecting dust swap it with a friend!

StitchinJoy 06-10-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Working on a D9P right now for DGD who is graduating high school. Top price for it with backing and batting would be at least 100 -125 bucks but I usually by my fabrics on sale locally and in Lancaster where the prices are really low so it actually is costing me about 50 dollars. That's pretty good for the size, approximatley 60 x 75, and all top quality fabrics. Could kick myself for not getting more yardage of a great 56" wide fabric at 1.99 per yard. Great backing for my kid's or charity quilts which usually are about 40 - 45 x 60 - 65.

I make a lot of scrappy quilts as gifts and as charity quilts.
I'm chair of my guild's Project Pillowcaes and I usually get the leftover pieces when we cut the cases. Only problem I have is having enough fabric for background for my scrappy quilts. I plan to get some good muslin at Joann's at 50% off, I wash it first to make sure it doesn't shrink when quilt is washed. When in the Lancaster area whites, creams and lights are always on my list to fabrics I need.

I have on occassion spent big bucks to make a special quilt for a special family member or friend. May in Jersey

Hi May-
I'm right across the river just north of Philly. What quilt shops do you go to for fabric?

seamstome 06-10-2010 05:13 PM

The current one I am working on will be about 800 when I am done with everything but it is a king in batiks and I will have it longarmed with custom stitching.

It's pretty easy to get to 300 when you are buying fabric, batting etc. This one calls for 9 yards for backing alone.

I usually spend 8-10 a yard for fabric and I buy Quilter's Dream batting so that costs a pretty penny. But I am satisfied when I am done.

roseOfsharon 06-10-2010 05:21 PM

lol, by the looks of it, I rather not keep track of what amount I would spend. Now if it were one someone requested and I were buying the materials and time.. then of course keeping track of the amount would be a good idea. If it is a gift ,,, just make it and give!

Pat G 06-10-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I would have to say mine averages $200-$300 and that includes backing and batting. I'm not buying much fabric any more. I have so much in my stash that I need to use. I only buy fabric if I need something special that I don't have.

My highest priced quilt so far ran about $350. That included a pillow topper, too. I had to order more fabric twice online since I sort of designed my quilt as I went. I must admit I was shocked when I totaled it all up. I swore I'd never do that again but when I find a pattern I get excited about I have to have the perf. fabric for it. Or sometimes the fabric comes first. I still don't plan to put out that much $ again though.

bob1414 06-10-2010 06:03 PM

If we figure out time, we've all invested thousands of dollars into our quilts, haven't we??!!

If I don't use my fabric I brought from Bali, I'd say I spend $150 on fabric.

May in Jersey 06-11-2010 05:09 AM

StitchinJoy, Zook's and Country Store are always on my list of shops to stop at, Zook's is my favorite. Next is Sauder's in Denver, Zook's and Sauders are owned by the same people. It's in a brick house near the PA turnpike exit. Here's their website, you probably can get directions from it. There are several other fabric shops along the highway where Zook's is, think the town is Bird in Hand. One thing to remember is that most shops in the area are closed on Sunday. May in Jersey

SORRY, forgot the email addy, zandsfabrics.com

PS. I sent you a PM with this message.

Pat G 06-11-2010 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by smcbride
What kind of material does one buy to spend $300 or more on a quilt? Everything I buy is on sale at JoAnn especially the batting. Ladies-if you have a Tuesday Morning store,check it out. My daughter and I found 12 pack fat quarters for $7.00-even Batik. Keep on checking.
Anyway, baby quilts costs me around $25-$30 total and a lap quilt $45-50. I use mostly stash fabric that was purchased on sale. Only buy on SALE and build up a stash.

I found that my $350 quilt cost so much because I had found the fabric on eQuilter for $9.50 yd. & just had to try it with a Stack & Whack pattern. I never know how much I'll need in the beginning but I know I have to start with 6 yrds. to get the repeats right.
Then I add an idea so it's back to ordering more. Then I decided to add a wider border of the orig. fabric so you know what that means. I do that to show what the medallions came from. Order more. Cha ching! Oops, then it's backing time. Then it took intricate long arm quilting & that was very pricey. Next thing I knew the cost was up there. The finished pc. was worth it though. You know I'll never give that one away. The matching pillow topper (not shams) really was a great touch.