Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much does fabric cost in your country? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-does-fabric-cost-your-country-t34879.html)

Lockeb 01-26-2010 03:03 PM

Mamagus,
I am origianl from Newfoundland I want to go back...
Our Walmarts here in Quebec have all but stopped carrying...almost nothing out - I went to Fabricville here on Sunday - FQ's are $4.99....there was a selection of fabrics at $10.00 - but not must you would want to bring home...the better cottons were all $15-18.00....the local quilt stores are all within that price and higher....

Gaijin 01-26-2010 03:11 PM

How about here in Japan? Fabric made in Japan (not really, probably made in China!) is about 800-1500 Yen per meter. So about $9-16 US per meter. American fabrics can be more expensive, but there are some great bargain spots. I went to Nippori (on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo) with a woman I met in the chat room here ( Hi, Youme!)and there was a huge selection of discounted fabric mostly from the U.S.

BarbieQ 01-26-2010 03:58 PM

Katrine, Send for an email address through Quilting Board and I'll see what I can afford to send you in the way of fabric or thread.Barb

martha jo 01-26-2010 06:55 PM

Interesting what French quilter says about thread. Here in USA we are being introduced to a fine cotton thread from Spain called Presencia. Do you not have it there?

rdem 01-26-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
This is a dumb question but how big is a metre? We never had metrics in school.

Aprox. 33 inches :-)

rdem 01-26-2010 11:17 PM

craft shows here in australia show the finished products as well as craft stores from all over the country (even a couple from New Zealand) have a stall there to show and sell their products. I have only been to 2 shows, and had a lot of fun there but I would never go with my credit card as I would buy and buy and buy and buy.......

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Originally Posted by blahel

When the craft show comes to town that is when I buy some really nice fabrics.

Do craft shows in Australia sell supplies? Here in the US, craft shows are for selling finished products, whether wood, fabric, jewelry, pottery, etc.

Maybe it's just the label "craft show" that's used differently.

:P

Katrine 01-26-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
Interesting what French quilter says about thread. Here in USA we are being introduced to a fine cotton thread from Spain called Presencia. Do you not have it there?

No, never seen it in France. I have seen Presencia 60 wt only at one large UK online supplier. As an example I put 3 cones in the shopping basket and total with postage to here is £72 - that's $116 !!

I buy Superior King Tut, Masterpiece or Bottom Line from 2 small UK suppliers, I pay about £5 each for them, but these 2 ladies will post to me at cost which is only letter rate for a couple of reels. I also bought thread shade cards, which is great for matching up.

Katrine 01-26-2010 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by rdem

No, it's 3" more approx than a yard, at 39"

QBeth 01-27-2010 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
I have seen Presencia 60 wt only at one large UK online supplier. As an example I put 3 cones in the shopping basket and total with postage to here is £72 - that's $116 !!

Choke me, gag, gag!! :shock: You paid $116 for three cones of thread?!! Mama!

And, I thought the price you paid for fabric was outrageous! My hats off to all quilter who live outside the USA. Takes dedication.

QBeth 01-27-2010 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine

Originally Posted by rdem

No, it's 3" more approx than a yard, at 39"

Here's the "official" conversion, straight from Google, the all knowing source :-)

1 meter = 39.370079 OR 39 47/127 inches