Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much does fabric cost in your country? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-does-fabric-cost-your-country-t34879.html)

Katrine 01-27-2010 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Originally Posted by Katrine
I have seen Presencia 60 wt only at one large UK online supplier. As an example I put 3 cones in the shopping basket and total with postage to here is £72 - that's $116 !!

Choke me, gag, gag!! :shock: You paid $116 for three cones of thread?!! Mama!

And, I thought the price you paid for fabric was outrageous! My hats off to all quilter who live outside the USA. Takes dedication.

No, no way would I pay that!!!! I just did the bag just to see how much with shipping as an example.

QBeth 01-27-2010 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine

Originally Posted by QBeth
Choke me, gag, gag!! :shock: You paid $116 for three cones of thread?!! Mama!

No, no way would I pay that!!!! I just did the bag just to see how much with shipping as an example.

Bless those who can afford to pay that much but I'm not in that league! If I were able to afford it, I'd change my name to Lady Up Lush! :-)

Quilt Mom 01-27-2010 05:44 AM

It has been interesting to read through all the posts here. I know the midwest seems to be less expensive than the coasts. (Groceries used to cost a lot more when we lived in AK.) But our LQS just upped prices - now we are paying $8 - $12 for good quality quilting fabric.

My hat is off to those of you outside of the US. It appears you spend a lot more on supplies than we do.

I think I will start working on miniatures! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bjcombs2022 01-27-2010 06:04 AM

I met a gal living in Italy a few years ago that said mail delivery was bad, at best! She said her Mom would send her fabric from Michigan, USA, and there was only a 50/50 chance she would ever get it. Do those of you in Europe find the same problems or is it just an Italian thing?

Katrine 01-27-2010 06:40 AM

I think there is a problem with theft in Italy particularly Bonnie, because I have noticed that alot of US sites will not mail there, and I have even seen it on one or two UK sites as well.
I've been buying my stuff from the UK for 6 years since I started quilting and (touching wood!) have had no problems at all. Some suppliers now though will only post "insured" from UK and that usually puts the rate well above the cost of what I'm purchasing, so I don't go that way - just trust normal mail.
If I know of anyone coming from UK by car, I will ask if I can have batting sent to their UK address to be brought out - something we just can't here, well anything decent at least!

Favorite Fabrics 01-27-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by bjcombs2022
I met a gal living in Italy a few years ago that said mail delivery was bad, at best! She said her Mom would send her fabric from Michigan, USA, and there was only a 50/50 chance she would ever get it. Do those of you in Europe find the same problems or is it just an Italian thing?

We've had trouble shipping to Italy, too, though we still do it. It's probably a 75% success rate. And it's SLOW... it takes 6-8 weeks for Priority Mail International (PMI) to be delivered, and even Express Mail takes 3 weeks or so. To protect our customers - and us - in the case of "lost" packages we buy third-party shipping insurance (through Shipsurance). The US Post Office will not insure those budget-priced flat rate envelopes.

Now, Brazil... that's even worse, in terms of shipping. There was one reader from Brazil who posted on this thread and I'd love to hear what her experiences have been. For us, probably two out of three packages to Brazil never get delivered, and apparently the theft problem is so bad that even Shipsurance will not insure packages sent to Brazil. So... the only option there is to send via USPS Express Mail (EMI), because you *can* insure EMI shipments. However... they cost more than twice as much as the PMI.

LoisN 01-27-2010 06:55 AM

I think a meter is about 39 inches. Anyone know for sure?

Favorite Fabrics 01-27-2010 06:58 AM

You are correct; a meter is about 39 1/2 inches.

Favorite Fabrics 01-27-2010 06:58 AM

You are correct; a meter is about 39 1/2 inches.

I don't know how this posted twice! Never had that happen before.

QBeth 01-27-2010 07:02 AM

[quote=Favorite Fabrics]You are correct; a meter is about 39 1/2 inches.[quote]

I posted this earlier -- you must have missed it...

Here's the "official" conversion, straight from Google, the all knowing source

1 meter = 39.370079 or 39 47/127 inches or approximately 39 1/2 inches.