Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t192553.html)

burchquilts 06-26-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5310372)
i buy 3 yards if it's calling my name.

Me, too. That way I have enough for a large border if I want it for that.

burchquilts 06-26-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mtchick (Post 5310348)
At age 69 I am a fairly new quilter and have been lurking on this board for a while. Thank all of you for your helpful hints, suggestions, and ideas that I have learned so far. I have been making Quilts for Kids, table runners, and that sort of thing and know how much fabric to buy when I have a pattern. My question when you see fabric that is "telling you to take it home" but you don't have any specific project in mind, how much do you buy? I would like to make some larger quilts for family members, but if I don't have a pattern I have no idea how much to purchase. Being on a limited income, I can't buy "just because" but would like to build up a stash for future projects. I think I caught the "quilting bug" from this board but hopefully it isn't the 24-hour variety and they aren't working on a cure for it. <SMILES>

You needn't worry about being cured of your quilting illness any time soon. I started quilting back in the 80's & am still going strong... no cure in sight... LOL! In fact, I think the desire to acquire fabric gets worse!

MadQuilter 06-26-2012 12:06 PM

Even if there is ever a cure for it, doesn't mean you need to get vaccinated. I KNOW that I will definitely not get the treatmen. hehe

Silver Needle 06-26-2012 03:00 PM

Minimum of 2 yards. If I have a specific amount needed for a project I always get an extra yard to allow for shrinkage (I almost always prewash), to allow for squaring up, and to allow for any cutting mistakes I might make. Also I prefer to use the lengthwise grain so I try to figure for the least number of seams in borders and purchase with that in mind.

AUQuilter 06-26-2012 03:15 PM

I buy a half yard for variety, a whole yard if I really like it or it is a light batik as they are harder to find, and more (maybe a lot) if the price is right. I buy a lot online and just got 9 yards of a large Marcus Brothers floral print for $9 total- going to give the kaleidescope quilt a try. I love scrap quilts and have just cut up skimpily (not sure if that is a real word) cut FQs I got at a quilters' craigslist sale into squares to piece a backing- Bonnie Hunter style. Don't rule out Craigslist postings or garage sales to stay within your budget.

IdahoSandy 07-08-2012 06:11 AM

For a larger quilt, I would buy 4 yards and make sure you have enough material for the border first and always put some of the same in your blocks.

Debbie C 09-02-2012 03:47 PM

I usually buy no less than 3 yards when I find something is 'calling my name'.