Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t192553.html)

sweetlummi 06-24-2012 07:25 AM

you have all been a good help . I have been wont to know for a long time now. I have just started and found a little quilt shop in my no mans town we are so small there not even a coffee shop here but there is a quilt shop just down the road. Most her thing run up to $10 But they look better then walmark . She also dos the quilt king was $110 is that good. That is the only thing my hand can not handle.

athenascooter 06-24-2012 07:47 AM

I buy between 3 to 4 yards as I can always find a pattern to use that in

simpsonfs 06-24-2012 08:11 AM

Never less than a yard...and I don't like pre-cuts or kits.

Pat G 06-24-2012 08:13 AM

I remember Alex Anderson saying on her "Simply Quilts" show yrs. ago that she never buys less than 3 yds. of a fabric that has no plan.

IdahoSandy 06-24-2012 08:27 AM

If I find a fabric I can't live without I usually buy 4 yards (or more depending on quilt size I plan to make)to make sure I have enough border/binding fabric and also incorporate the border fabric into the quilt. Once I have a pattern, then buy the other coordinating fabrics for the quilt. I always buy more than what a pattern calls for because we all make cutting mistakes(lesson learned) and you can always make a string or scrappy quilt from left over fabrics. Better to have too much than not enough.

Judi in Ohio 06-24-2012 11:12 AM

I am a scrappy gal, and a fabricholic, so I buy, buy, buy. I started out buying 1 yd pieces - one time I had a quilt shop cut 30 1/8th of a yard - I thought I was being silly, so I went to 1 yd. Then I started on the sausage pillowcases and that takes 1 1/2 yds so I get 1/2 yd for me if I buy 2 yds. If I love it 3 yds, a terrific buy, the bolt. I buy lots of neutrals and cut them in 1 1/2, 2, & 2 1/2" strips, ala Bonnie Hunter. These strip bins have been wonderful for me. I get in the mood and I pull over a certain size and start sewing.

FroggyinTexas 06-24-2012 12:07 PM

Welcome from N. Texas. Think about how loudly the fabric calling. Some calls me that isn't going to be used because I just like to look at it! I should have bought 18 inches instead of three yards...froggyintexas

VickyS 06-24-2012 12:22 PM

Welcome from the Bay Area of California. I'm with most of the rest of the folks here - about 3-4 yards if I love it.

I usually make lap quilts, and my husband and son are both over 6 feet tall. So any 4 yard pieces could be used for backing on a quilt. Because of budget, I am TRYING to not buy material except at sales. I have found old clothing and even old sheets can be good sources of material. THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE HERE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!

I would ask yourself what your main focus will be on quilting.

For myself, I do scrappy community quilts. These don't need large pieces of material. If you are into heirloom quality quilts, then you want larger pieces so you can make that quilt sing in the same colors throughout.

Talk to people. You will find sources of material from relatives, neighbors, church members and others once you speak up about your craft. Believe us, you will have a stash in NO TIME! Good luck and let us know how you do.

shelrox 06-24-2012 12:26 PM

Alwaqys buy 3 yards and if you can 5 for you never know what you might want to make some day with it. I always say you cant go wrong with 3 yards of a good piece of fabric

psailer 06-24-2012 10:06 PM

i love your avatar pattern what is it called.. so bright